Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

MPC 5000 - wrapping around hot roller

Hi All,

I know its a bit late to post this problem as i believe a newer model maybe on its way, however just wondering if anyone has MPC4000 & 5000s that have paper wrap around the heat rollers in the fuser when the print consists of a leading edge of solid colour.

the scenario is that the paper source must be A4/Letter in Portrait orientation. The solid colour on the leading edge doesnt have to be running from top to bottom as long as it runs for about 1/2 the height of the page, it will wrap, even if the solid bar is only 5mm wide.

We have gotten around this by making the default tray for printing and copying as Tray 2, with paper in landscape orientation.

Ricoh HQ hasnt given any useful advice other than:

*Its only us that have this problem (which we know we arent cause other Ricoh techies we speak to tell us the same thing
    *shift the print edge over more to the right - no good to us as the image is off centre and we do not like the customer abusing us for doing this.

So what are you're solutions/work arounds for this problem if you have come across it. thanks.

regards

Steve

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Assuming that you have already replaced the oil supply roller and the cleaning roller, I would replace the pressure roller next.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobysteve View Post
    Hi All,

I know its a bit late to post this problem as i believe a newer model maybe on its way, however just wondering if anyone has MPC4000 & 5000s that have paper wrap around the heat rollers in the fuser when the print consists of a leading edge of solid colour.

the scenario is that the paper source must be A4/Letter in Portrait orientation. The solid colour on the leading edge doesnt have to be running from top to bottom as long as it runs for about 1/2 the height of the page, it will wrap, even if the solid bar is only 5mm wide.

We have gotten around this by making the default tray for printing and copying as Tray 2, with paper in landscape orientation.

Ricoh HQ hasnt given any useful advice other than:

*Its only us that have this problem (which we know we arent cause other Ricoh techies we speak to tell us the same thing
    *shift the print edge over more to the right - no good to us as the image is off centre and we do not like the customer abusing us for doing this.

So what are you're solutions/work arounds for this problem if you have come across it. thanks.

regards

Steve
    OK. For starters I only have two 5000's in the field and the only failure to date has been the black toner pump.

Rather than inventory individual parts to rebuild a fuser unit for 2 machines, it made more sense to stock a complete fuser unit.

The fuser unit ordered is currently on backorder.

If I were going to be troubleshooting a "fuser wrap" problem, I would look at replacing the oil supply/cleaning rollers and the pressure roller.

Those are my guesses.

PP

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    hi all,

in my case anyway, just about all of our MPC5000s do it.. and when i say all, i'm thinking about 60 or so machines... even from day dot i had a client, who just bought two MPC5000s, call up saying both had jammed on the first page of print.. and it consistently jammed on this first page... switched it over to Short edge feed (ie, landscape orientated paper) and off it went... back to Long edge feed and BAM!!!... jam on the first page... so being new machines, i wouldnt think it would be bad components in the fuser unless we are just damn unlucky and managed to only get the 60 lemons out there.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobysteve View Post
    hi all,

in my case anyway, just about all of our MPC5000s do it.. and when i say all, i'm thinking about 60 or so machines... even from day dot i had a client, who just bought two MPC5000s, call up saying both had jammed on the first page of print.. and it consistently jammed on this first page... switched it over to Short edge feed (ie, landscape orientated paper) and off it went... back to Long edge feed and BAM!!!... jam on the first page... so being new machines, i wouldnt think it would be bad components in the fuser unless we are just damn unlucky and managed to only get the 60 lemons out there.
    Doesn't make much sense unless you take a trip back through time to the problems on the Aficio 551 that were extremely low volume.

The answer there was to remove the oil supply roller at the expense of a shortened hot roller life.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts AyJayAreDii's Avatar
    We have a lot of these machine. I don't recall any problems that was not either the oil supply roller or an old fuser.

Have you tried setting it to a thicker paper setting. Heavy toner on standard paper can cause problems. Usually in estate agents! when the toner is applied heavy to the feed edge of 80/90gsm paper, then is pushed upwards though the machine, you end up with the feed edge buckling and the paper follows the heat rollers around. Try using 100gsm paper to make sure the paper has the strength to stay striate whist travelling.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts spaceman99's Avatar
    i think your going to deep. when i get wraps then i replace the following, AA066385 SPRING LHS STRIPPER BAR, AA066386 SPRING RHS STRIPPER BAR, D0094503 , STRIPPER BAR AND MOD GUIDE PLATE D0294491. If that does not knock out it on the head then replace the maintain kit for the fuser D030KFUS.
    try that
    good luck

We have a few of these machines around. They work fine/OK, but we've had a few problems like this.

We sold a better quality paper to the customers that prints a lot of pictures, where the fibers in the paper have more than one direction. That did the job for us. Never had any major problems ever since.

I see from the SMC reports that we have logged an average of 29 jams in fuser exit for every 150k prints, and 40 in duplex entrance on an average user. To reduse paper curl we have replaced the paper the real estate agents used with a high quality paper. Now the machine works MUCH better.

We have replaced more cheap paper from Staples at a few customers - and that have resulted in increased reliability. We expect the machines jams will decrease by 25-35% for those that use cheaper copy paper.

If you read about the new machine (Apollon 2,5 ... MPC4501/5501) that is going to replace the MPC4000, one of the areas where they have made a few changes is in the fusing unit. They have redesigned some of the pressure mechanism, the anti curl system (rollers) at the fuser exit and it can handle thicker paper too btw.

You're all using the printer fuser instead of the copier fuser right? It's cheaper to replace the fuser with a printer fuser, then replaceing the PM parts of the MPC4000 fuser. And much quicker..

Senior Tech 100+ Posts spaceman99's Avatar
    i forgot to add, I also lower the temp of the fuser as this also decresses the curl.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts AyJayAreDii's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spaceman99 View Post
    i forgot to add, I also lower the temp of the fuser as this also decresses the curl.
    This is just compensating for curly paper.

@lotec

Exactly what we do! high quality paper for colour images and high toner coverage and more reliability. cheep nasty paper for black and white text with the odd jam now and then.