Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mbrackenbury

Hold Print option on Ricoh 4000

HI

We have multiple Ricoh 4000 MFD's around the company and I want to set them up using the Hold Print function.
    Currently there are hundreds of printed sheets which sit on the MFD's everyday that never get collected and thrown away.
    I have about 200 users across 3 sites, so instead going round manually (or via VNC) each user and changing the printer preferences job type and user id, I want to find a way of doing it automatically.
    Has anyone come up with a solution for this problem? I want the user id to be user from there log in.
    Thanks
    Mark

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts

If you're not using user accounts, you don't need to set them up just for holding the prints. You just need to predefine "Locked Print" on the printer properties. The bad news is that you still need to do it on every workstation - at least as far as I know. If someone else knows otherwise, I'd also be interested to learn about it.
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar
    If the print driver is shared on a server, login to the server and go into the printer properties of the driver and look under the Advanced tab, then select Printing (or Printer) Defaults and select Hold print as the job type. When your users log on to the server again the new settings should populate to their desktop.

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    If the print driver is shared on a server, login to the server and go into the printer properties of the driver and look under the Advanced tab, then select Printing (or Printer) Defaults and select Hold print as the job type. When your users log on to the server again the new settings should populate to their desktop.
    Won't "Hold Print" hold the job indefinitely? "Locked Print", as far as I know, is more adequate since it will clear the job from the HD after releasing.

Besides, I don't know if that will suffice, because if it's made like that, all the users will see all the jobs since they will share the same job ID and password.
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrwho View Post
    Won't "Hold Print" hold the job indefinitely? "Locked Print", as far as I know, is more adequate since it will clear the job from the HD after releasing.

Besides, I don't know if that will suffice, because if it's made like that, all the users will see all the jobs since they will share the same job ID and password.
    Hold Print will delete the job immediately after printing, Store Print will keep it available until deleted manually. Lock Print is just like Hold Print except it is password protected. The best option would be for each individual user to set their own Printer Preference to Locked Print and input their name in the User ID field and a unique password and save as the default setting. Then when they print they can just go and find their job, input their password and print. I would just compose an email with instructions (screenshots and text) and let the end user set it.
    Last edited by teebee1234; 11-30-2010 at 01:06 AM.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    Check with your friendly neighborhood Ricoh dealer to see if they can customize a PCL driver for you that will force Hold or Locked Print.

Ricoh provides their authorized dealers with a tool to manipulate various driver settings.

It's not available for all models, as some use a different driver "structure", but it's worth a try.

Word of warning: This very well may be a chargeable service!
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Mbrackenbury
    Quote Originally Posted by mrwho View Post

You are right, if I set it up via the print server, all jobs will be displayed with same user id, which will be the quickest way to pee off all the users.

I have asked my local Ricoh dealer, but to be honest they are not that get. I came here and the company already had these machines. I think when the contract finishes I will move away back to Toshiba or Xerox, as they have much more functionality.

In the meantime, I think a nice guide with screenshots will be the way forward and get the users to configure there own PC/laptops.

Thanks for all your replies.
    Mark