Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mguarderas

Ricoh MP 4000 SC670 code

I have a Ricoh 4000 that has a 670 code I have replaced controller board, memory dimm, BICU, and IOB does anyone out there have solutions for me? Thank you

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Ricoh MP 4000 SC670 code

Hi mguarderas,

I have had SC 670 before and it is quite a wierd error. Try upgrading or overwriting the firmware and/or replacing the NVRAM on the BICU board. Also if the machine has any peripherals attached (finisher etc) try unplugging all these and powering on the machine so it is just the base machine.

Something also to try, try unplugging the hard drive and powering it on see if that makes any difference.

Some things to try....hope this helps

E Winter
    I've seen this as a side effect because of a faulty hdd. Does the SC occur after every power on or just occasionally? Any other SC codes listed in the logging data?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Since you have replaced the bicu and controller, I would agree with the hard drive. back up any address book data and then reformat or replace the hdd.

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts
    Just had a machine today that was throwing SC670's and SC863's which was the HDD. The disk was OK, just badly corrupted and needed to be manually zero-filled, I wasn't able to successfully format it in SP mode. Linux and a USB interface to the rescue!

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zed255 View Post
    Just had a machine today that was throwing SC670's and SC863's which was the HDD. The disk was OK, just badly corrupted and needed to be manually zero-filled, I wasn't able to successfully format it in SP mode. Linux and a USB interface to the rescue!
    I disagree.

If a HDD needs to be replaced, you should do it and hand the old one over to the customer.

Don't get me wrong. I love to save money, but in the long run, it's not worth the hassle.

You would not believe the information that is being left on machines coming off of a lease.

We buy them and I rebuild them for resale, so you better believe that the drives are wiped clean before the new owner installs them on their network. But, I use SP mode, not a utility and certainly not Linux.

But, you've got me thinking.

Maybe on a rebuild, I should add on the cost of new HDD's.

Then I get to keep the old ones.
    Last edited by XXX; 12-10-2010 at 01:19 AM. Reason: PP

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX View Post
    I disagree.

If a HDD needs to be replaced, you should do it and hand the old one over to the customer.

Don't get me wrong. I love to save money, but in the long run, it's not worth the hassle.

You would not believe the information that is being left on machines coming off of a lease.

We buy them and I rebuild them for resale, so you better believe that the drives are wiped clean before the new owner installs them on their network. But, I use SP mode, not a utility and certainly not Linux.

But, you've got me thinking.

Maybe on a rebuild, I should add on the cost of new HDD's.

Then I get to keep the old ones.
    The customer's HDD was zero filled and reinstalled into his machine, no replacement was performed.

It was simply corrupted to the point where the unit could do nothing without throwing a code with the disk present, but the drive had not actually failed. I use Linux to gain direct block-level access to the disk so that every sector is filled with zeros, just like it was new. I can then use SP to format. I'm not leaving with anyone's data (though I suppose I could) and always ask prior to performing such a proceedure. I have never had a customer say, "No, I'd like to wait while you order a drive instead of getting it to work today". If the drive is actually failed, it is handed over - it's junk anyhow.

What's the hassle? I spent 40 minutes zero filling an 80G drive on-site versus leaving the machine semi-functional without the drive only to order it and wait for it and return to install it. I work for direct, so going out to a local store isn't an option for me, I order OEM.

What's wrong with Linux or BSD? I can do the same with Windows or OSX (which has BSD under-pinnings), it's just easy for me to do from a linux terminal. I don't generally do utilities, I prefer native built-in components, though you can think of anything outside the kernel as a utility. SP mode format does nothing to delete the actual data, the space is simply marked as available and new partition tables are written. The motivated and knowledgable could recover data from a simple format. Zero filling would need serious forensic hardware if it's actually possible at all on a modern drive.
    Last edited by zed255; 12-10-2010 at 02:56 AM. Reason: Added thoughts

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Zed, good explanation and used raised some very valid points regarding customer service.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar
    [Re : Low level zero format HDD's ]
    I have a HDD zero/wipe program that runs from DOS. It's only 2K in size and it obliterates any format on most HDD's. Quick simple and clean. No more virus or hacker specially formatted tracks on the HDD's no nothing at all. Some older HDD's requires us to use DOS bootfix and partition before they can be identified by a computer again, that is how low-level this wipe program goes...

Zero wipe your all computer HDD's if you want to get rid of cryptic virus patterns. I know of frustrated techs that have thrown away perfectly good hard drives because they didn't know how to get the virus formatted tracks off the HDD's. I can go into some interesting virus patterns. I reverse engineered the STONE virus a long time ago. It was very interesting how that virus was done. I can't say too much more because I risk inflating the original hackers ego and showing many others how to do it.

[Me personally...]
    I will always low-level format before installing a new operating system on any computer. I guess it's only a matter of time before hackers get interested in writing serious viruses for MFD's...

GDM
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Do as recommended Iommanxman
    Update the firmware for BICU and Controller (System/Copy) with opened front door (open it before switch on the power).

If it not helps you must check all connections between on BICU and Controller boards.
    Especially for flat cables.