Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Aficio 3228C

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts

Aficio 3228C

I'm hoping to gain some additional suggestions regarding an issue I'm having with an Aficio 3228C. This unit had begun to sporadically throw SC 220-04, laser sync detect error K0. After some checking about the unit I had no real solution. After speaking to tech support it was suggested to install a new 'image forming section' aka laser unit. At this point life goes sideways.

The SC 220-04 now becomes a permanent feature of the machine. It was then suggested that the BCU had gone south, so that was changed to no avail. Interlocks have been checked and the integrity of +5VLD verified, so I think the next suggestion of PSU isn't looking good. The LD harness was ordered with the LD unit and was B/O, but I got it today so it will be installed tomorrow.

Any further suggestions? I'm thinking I'm looking somewhat foolish at this point and want to put this issue to bed, if anyone has had something similar with a different or unusual cause I'd love to explore possibilities. Thanks.

Impulse Drive Engineer 250+ Posts CableGuy's Avatar
    Does this unit give you colour reg problems and any weird sounds?

Sounds normal. Customer showed a sample of massive colour separation, particularly between black/yellow and cyan/magenta, i.e. red output had about an inch between the yellow and the magenta, but black was aligned with yellow. I was never able to witness this issue, only seen a few samples. Otherwise it always passed line position adjustment and all tests looked good.

Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts
    Aficio 3228C

Here's what da Goose has to say:

04/05 Black 0/1 detect error - clean inside laser unit
    04/05 Black 0/1 detect error - detect board(s) not mounted correct
    04/05 Black 0/1 detect error - replace BCU
    04/05 Black 0/1 detect error - replace LD unit

You never realize how cheap a professional is until after you let an amateur do it.
    A+; Network +; PDI+

Quote Originally Posted by Jomama46 View Post
    Here's what da Goose has to say:

04/05 Black 0/1 detect error - clean inside laser unit
    04/05 Black 0/1 detect error - detect board(s) not mounted correct
    04/05 Black 0/1 detect error - replace BCU
    04/05 Black 0/1 detect error - replace LD unit
    Yep, looked at Goose's and it was a wild goose chase. I suspect my new laser unit was DOA, after everything I put the old one in and got it running but I'll have to see about the intermittent SC220-04 it was producing. So as it stands the unit had a new BCU, new LD harness and now the original LDU. I may re-order another laser unit but I'd like to see if the fault remains with the BCU and harness.

Have you tried another transfer unit in the machine? Looks like you could be having issues with the encoder roller assembly

I haven't tried the transfer assembly for the colour registration issue as yet, it has a new belt and cleaning unit however. There is still the issue of the SC220-04, I suspect I need another LDU since the first one I ordered probuced a persistent SC220-04 (funny how its the same error). I have metered the +5VLD line and it seems good but support still thinks a PSU might be worth a try. Guess I need to order a boatload of stuff and see which it is.

Did you replace just the transfer belt or the complete unit? The encoder roller assembly in on the transfer unit. Any time I've had issues with colour reg and noises, with some other weird issues to go with it, the encoder assy has always done the trick for me

Good luck

I know this has gotten old, but thought I'd update it. The SC220-04 was caused by the power supply and the weird colour separation issue was the LD unit, so a compound issue made more complex by the first replacement LD unit being defective.