Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    jackb

key counter interface unit MP4000 - what signals are on particular pins ?

I had installed a key counter interface in my MP4000 machine. I want to use it to plug in an external controller (computer software via a I/O card). This card would be connected with a wire through a bd9 connector placed on a cover of the machine. To connect a key counter interface to my controller I need an info about what signals are on which pin in this key counter interface. I can't find such information in any documentation. Could anyone help me ? Thanks

Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts

Are you talking about the 4 pin connector?

You never realize how cheap a professional is until after you let an amateur do it.
    A+; Network +; PDI+

jackb
    There is no 4-pin connector on the key counter interface module. There is one 13-pin connector on top, which is used to link it to a MP4000 mainboard, there is 6-pin connector on the left and another, 7-pin connector on the right (both in white cover) and one wide, 20-pin connector on the bottom (in black cover), which I intended to use for connecting with an external controller. I need to find three signals: ground, unblocking/unblocking the device and page counter.

Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts

There is a 13 pin counter connector at cn214 on the IO board. Did you see that one on the P2P? E8 pg 2

You never realize how cheap a professional is until after you let an amateur do it.
    A+; Network +; PDI+

Senior Tech 100+ Posts oldschool's Avatar
    Normally when we vend this model an optional interface board is required (Type A EDP) that board has a 20 pin connector on it. On that connector Pins A-9 and B-9 bring the copier ready and A-10 and B-10 are the copy count lines.
    That model should have a 4 pin key-counter connector on it. The Ricoh keycounter uses pins 1 an 2 to bring the copier ready and 3 and 4 as the copy count lines.

FORMER Techie 1,000+ Posts tcs04's Avatar
    As mentioned.... Optional Counter Interface Type A. EDP 413012

Fitting instructions in service manual.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I only have the Mp4001 manual & the Ricoh web is down, but it SHOULD be the same.

Since it's a BW box, I wouldn't mess with the 20 pin setup. That's used mainly to differentiate between BW vs. color as well as prints vs. copies, etc.

Hopefully there's a jumper on the connector. That will be the Go/NoGo pins and the other 2 will be the counter pulses. Assuming it's a 4 pin connector.

Pages from Mp4001.pdf

jackb
    Thanks! I finally dismounted the interface module/board and connected to a 4 pin (red) connector on the mainboard.

janam4u

Re: key counter interface unit MP4000 - what signals are on particular pins ?

i have a ricoh aficio mp 2550 with the 4 pin connector mentions above and am trying to connect it to a reset-able remote count meter the on/off -enable for copy was easy to figure out but can some tell me more about the counter signal

Senior Tech 100+ Posts oldschool's Avatar

Re: key counter interface unit MP4000 - what signals are on particular pins ?

The MP2550 doesn't take the optional board. So you have to use the 4 pin connector.
    Pin 1 (ground), pin 2 (5VDC Counter set when low), pin 3 (24 VDC) and pin 4 (24VDC low counter). Each time pin 4 drops low (usually at each paper feed) You'll see 24VDC across pins 3 and 4 for about 100 milliseconds. That should drive the counter one click.

If you'd like a replacement for that old counter check out our True Count. It comes with all you need.