Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician 50+ Posts

MPC6501 Toner not recognized

I have been having some problems with a couple MPC6501s not recognizing new toner bags. Now I know the solution to get it to work:

SP 5804 045 and 046 turn them both on at same time until error codes
    SP 3410 and select the color affected and switch to 10 instead of 0
    SP 5051 Turn off
    SP 5061 Make sure reads all ones
    Reboot
    Make 50 to 60 copies to make sure its loads toner.

The question is how do you prevent this. I could not get a good answer from Ricoh tech support over the phone but that seems to be a common issue with Ricoh tech support, but on one machine it happens every time the machine runs out of toner or shows a near end and replaced early. The customer is not very happy because it leads to plenty of downtime with as much as they print. I have talked to several people and they all heard of the issue but don't know how to prevent it. Any help would be great!

General Troublemaker 250+ Posts ddude's Avatar
    I would like to know if there is a fix to this problem too, I have a similar incident with no good work-around.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts Comatose's Avatar
    There is an RTB for firmware on this machine to do with it not detecting toner cartridge:

1.05:06 Symptom Corrected:
    Toner cartridge cannot be detected (Model D081/D082-29 only).

Information for only Model D081/D082-29 models:
    If the firmware currently installed in the machine is the temporary solution (Ver. 1.04a (program No.D0815407_LR0429) or Ver. 1.03:04 or older), be sure to update the Engine firmware this new version (Ver. 1.05:06).

Other Changes:
    Paper feeding speed is modified when Multi Folding Unit FD5000 is installed.

IMPORTANT:
    If you install this new version (Ver. 1.05:06) directly from Ver. 1.03:04 or older, NEVER turn the main power switch OFF or unplug the power cord during the update. If you do, the VBCU board can break (SC670 occurs the next time the power is turned ON). If you do this accidentally, replace the VBCU board.

Note:
    This version contains all the modification, which were applied in ver. 1.04:06.

Technician 50+ Posts
    It has the newest firmware. I was hoping there was a new firmware to fix it but that didn't do out. It already had the 1.05 and upgraded to the 1.07 and still has the toner loading problem. Now one interesting thing is the magenta was low but didn't have the low toner message yet and replaced the toner and it never showed a new toner was installed until I rebooted the machine.

Hmm, might be a stupid question but is the right toner being used, I have been told that the toner for this model and the 6500 although different look almost exactly the same and will both fit in the machine.
    A friend of mine had strange quality problems and eventually found the customer had taken toner from the 6500 in another part of the building and put it in the 6501.

Technician 50+ Posts
    I verified it has the right toner and developer because tried a devo change a well to possibly help. Didn't help at all. Has new toner supply and development unit as well for one of the colors and it didn't make a difference either.

Hmm, The only other thing I can think of is possibly a dodgy door switch, if one is twitchy you wont get a door open but it can stop toner loading after toner near end or end conditions.
    I spent hours on a B&W machine before only to find a few visits ago an engineer had changed door switched but had mixed up the connections and the only thing it effected was toner loading after toner end condition.

Technician 50+ Posts
    Turned out to be a bad BICU. After gradually starting to have other strange problems tried swapping it out. No problems now. Thanks for all your ideas on this!

Re: MPC6501 Toner not recognized

Following procedure works in most cases when this problem of new toner is not recognized.

Check data in SP modes 3-817-001 to 004 (Developer Filling: Admission).

3817-01 = K, -02 = Magenta, -03 = Cyan, -04 = Yellow

Should be 0.

If "1" found against any of the 4 colours (even if it is not the colour you are currently having issues with) execute 3817-05.

This resets the status to "0" for all.

Power machine off and on, message should clear and toner start to add.

Usual cause for incorrect data of "1" is an error when the developer was last replaced/setup.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts redneckstylin's Avatar

Re: MPC6501 Toner not recognized

i ran into this issue .....turns out the newbie brought mpc7500 toner to the client

lesson learned was never send a newb to deliver toner