Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

Question Scan to email problems

I have been running into scan to email problems lately. Seems to be mostly verizon dsl using gmx smtp server with an account I have set up with success on several machines using port 587.

I have set up IP address, gateway, dns server(s) with successful connection test, smtp server and port 587 with successful connection test, smtp authentication on with correct login information. At these sites, when you try to scan to email, you get communication light for a long time, then it goes to status of waiting, and eventually get error. At one site, it would even send successfully every once in a while.

I have tried using smtp server IP address instead of dns and same problem. I have been able to either successfully set up scan to folder as a work around, or set up argosoft mailserver on a local pc, but I am wondering if anyone else has run into this and found a solution. Also, this has happened on 4 different model machines: Savin C4540, C3535, C2525, and 3515m.

Technician 50+ Posts
    I haven't ran into it with verizon but i did with AT&T DSL and when I called them about it they stated that in some areas they somehow block the way the copiers send emails. Not sure how or why they did that but that's just what AT&T told me while I was trying to troubleshoot it. They told me to setup the customers scanning a different way, so I ended up having to setup scan to folder then the customer would send it from their PC. Might need a phone call to Verizon just to see. Couldn't hurt...

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts
    Scan to email problems

2 common issues with the Ricoh's and email, 1 SMB packet signing on the older models and The Ricoh's don't support SSL for email. If your mail server needs SSL , you need a work around like you've found.
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Scan to email problems

Quote Originally Posted by Tonerbomb View Post
    2 common issues with the Ricoh's and email, 1 SMB packet signing on the older models and The Ricoh's don't support SSL for email. If your mail server needs SSL , you need a work around like you've found.
    Actually, SSL is supported now for newer models with certain conditions. The following is a response from Ricoh tech support to a tech trying to connect to a customers GoDaddy email.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tech - I have a customer using GoDaddy as the email client. Are web based email clients supported by are MFPs? I thought that I had set up a customer a few years back with yahoo.com without any problems.

Ricoh- Unfortunately the answer is "it depends". We can not use HTTP to send Email. The MP C4501 can only send an email directly to what it thinks is an SMTP server. The copier will try to send the Email via "relay" with standard SMTP commands. If the SMTP server rejects the relay request from the copier then Scan-to-Email will not work.

To summarize if we can find something that looks like an SMTP server then we may be able to send Email. If we "only" have a web URL then we can't do anything. You could call whoever is hosting the Email server and see if they can give you an SMTP server address and tell you how to use the server if needed.

FYI: The copier does support SMTP over SSL if it uses the standard port of 487. The copier does not support SMTP over TLS or SMTP over SSL with a non-standard port number.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have attached a pdf from Ricoh support that shows how to setup GMail on the newer devices for those that are interested......
    Attached Files Attached Files

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by teebee1234 View Post
    Actually, SSL is supported now for newer models with certain conditions. The following is a response from Ricoh tech support to a tech trying to connect to a customers GoDaddy email.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tech - I have a customer using GoDaddy as the email client. Are web based email clients supported by are MFPs? I thought that I had set up a customer a few years back with yahoo.com without any problems.

Ricoh- Unfortunately the answer is "it depends". We can not use HTTP to send Email. The MP C4501 can only send an email directly to what it thinks is an SMTP server. The copier will try to send the Email via "relay" with standard SMTP commands. If the SMTP server rejects the relay request from the copier then Scan-to-Email will not work.

To summarize if we can find something that looks like an SMTP server then we may be able to send Email. If we "only" have a web URL then we can't do anything. You could call whoever is hosting the Email server and see if they can give you an SMTP server address and tell you how to use the server if needed.

FYI: The copier does support SMTP over SSL if it uses the standard port of 487. The copier does not support SMTP over TLS or SMTP over SSL with a non-standard port number.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have attached a pdf from Ricoh support that shows how to setup GMail on the newer devices for those that are interested......

Do you think this would work with ATT/yahoo?

Technician
    I tested it and it will also work for the new smtp for Att "smtp.att.yahoo.com"