Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician
    Ricoh Aficio 2238C keeps adding and dumping magenta toner

Hello everyone, I am looking for some ideas on Ricoh Aficio 2238c that keeps adding and dumping magenta toner. Pulled the developer assemblies. and pile of magenta toner is on top of the magenta developer, around the mating latch with the toner pump/ dev assy.. I tried to lower the toner ratio by switching to fixed mode from fuzzy, and lowered to 1% just to troubleshoot, NO help. It keeps feeding toner, and won't stop.

The color developers seem to have over 80K, on them. The history is not clear from customer. Does this unit do this. if the developer goes past their life of 60K? or does it have another issue with calibration? Appreciate if all you Ricoh techs will give this a try!!

Thank you in advance!

Technician
    Replace devbox usally solve this problem, clean id sensors belt change drum etc
    while you work on machine.

There are problems with the Dev clutches sticking on. This depletes the dev and may give you that kinda problem. Check to see the developer level in the unit. Compare to another colour.
    Dave
    Kittens give Morbo gas.

A+, Network+, Server+, PDI+

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts Eric1968's Avatar
    I think these development units have a yield of 60k, so a replacement is a good idea. Like df3036 says, replace the dv-cluthes.

Technician

Thanks for the helpful reply, Davven, df3036, and Eric1968. I am going back with new magenta DV unit, and likely end up replacing the all of them later, including PCU's and transfer belt. But for now the Customer needs a quick work around so, I ll do the magenta first to keep the sticker shock low!
    As for the clutches sticking, it's clear that the Machine is demanding and cycling toner on start up calibrations based on TD sensor from developer and ID sensors from transfer belt input, but I'll keep an eye out for them, thanks df3036!
    Last edited by rav555; 03-25-2011 at 06:32 AM. Reason: type o's

FORMER Techie 1,000+ Posts tcs04's Avatar
    Don't put the dev unit in without the clutch! The clutch sticks on and when the bias is off (when not copying) the dev dumps into the pcu and onto the belt.

Technician

I completed this call, here is what I found: The magenta developer was not turning during start up sequence, while the other developers were! The drive gear was worn causing the mag roller/sleeve not to turn and sending no signal output to the T/D sensor in unit, therefore the it was reading that as low toner and cycling the toner pump clutch on continuously, piling up toner on the top of the dev assy. Rerplaced it with new one, let self caliberate, cleaned up all the mess on transfer belt, and ID sensors, works fine. Long enough to get out of the parking lot, just kidding. I'm crazy not about Ricoh color of this generation...pays the bills I guess. Thanks Boys!!!