Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Minimum Call Procedure

Hi All,

Our office have recently started giving us log books with minimum call procedures to be done at each call.Which would take at least an hour and a half.Ive been in the copier game for a few years now and know depending on the model know what to check for.Got me thinking what minimum call procedure does everyone do regardless of what kind of call it is (paper jam copy quality)

Cheers

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Would be nice to do a total call on each and every machine you go to like in the old day. It really helps when you have time to go through the machine and have time to talk with the customer. But as understaffed as eveyone is now and always have 8-9 calls to do every day it's impossible and that's really sad.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts verderacer's Avatar
    Yea, its getting kind of ridiculous what they are expecting us to do on every call. Here at Ikon/Ricoh the list has gotten longer and with our ball and chain hhd (hand held device) it takes even longer. We have a short list of things like, Stabiziers, sp mode checks on counter, a3dlt, meter, then if we can get a browser the RC Gateway, to name a few and list goes on with sales requirements, toner collection and etc. I always love how they call these things "initiatives".

I know mgmt at IKON has no clue about the collective burdon they put on the tech and then still expect us to get 5 or more calls a day.
    Ricoh & Microsoft may pay the bills but Un*x saves my ass every day.
    MCSE/CCNE/ENS and other crap...

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    Minimum Call Procedure

On top of the repair, my machines get optics, adf cleaning and the covers cleaned on every call. If there is too much toner blowing around I will give it a vacuuming, too. Yes, it takes more time to do this but it may save me a service call down the road.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Service Manager 250+ Posts Hemlock's Avatar
    Minimum call really requires knowing your machine and it's service history. If a call comes in for jamming and you have to do the tires, look at the dev & drum count. If under, but just barely, go ahead and replace. What's driving this are the techs that let consumables go over their life, to the point they cause problems.

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts
    Minimum Call Procedure

Take a copy, look at it. Ask the customer "So, what's up?". 10 seconds tops.
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar
    I don't have any "official" procedure I must perform but after some years of practice there are some steps I do at almost every customer, like:

- checking copy/print quality
    - checking sc/jam history/PM counters and service-book informations
    - checking scanner optics/cleaning if needed
    - checking DF roller/parts
    - checking general cleanness
    - ask the customer if he noticed any further issues I might have not get with the call
    - general function test
    - firmware check

This is just a rough draft - I don't do all these steps 100% strict like there would be no need to check DF rollers or whatever PM parts if I visit a machine that is like new (service call shortly after installation). It's also a difference if I visit a machine that is a kind of "my child" (I'm the only tech maintaining the machine) so I have the history in my mind or - different case - a machine that has been maintained by different techs during the last calls.