Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Constant jamming on a Ricoh MPC2550.

Hi all:

I having a constant jamming problem on a MPC2550. The guy was complaining about jamming when there is a full stack of paper in the cassette. He aid when there is half or less it works ok. I replaced the sep pad and feed roller and after I did that it always jams on me now. Put the old ones back and is still always jams. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks. I should also mention that it's the number 2 cassette. All the other cassettes 1, 3 and 4 work fine.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

This Parts & Service manual can now be purchased for $12.77 and downloaded immediately after payment from
    Just Manuals | The Internet's largest selection of manuals | Instant Downloads

Paul@justmanuals.com

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

There is a Ricoh RTB about fault finding on these machines, one tip is to run the paper feed motor with the side door open and put a little pressure on the feed roller and see if it stops turning. If it does it means the clutch is the problem and they seem to be a bit of an issue with this model. Also lube the one-way Torrington bearing.
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Tonerspill
    One of the problems I have with any of the feed roller/sep pad systems is being sure the mylar next to sep pad isn't bent in. It's really easy to do, it will run allright for a little bit, but groan alot and eventually jam.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Ok. Where is the torrington bearing? And I have looked at all the service bullentins on the MPC2550 and can't find anything about this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Senior Tech 100+ Posts verderacer's Avatar
    Try this check.

Remove both T1 and T2. With them removed reach back to where the paper feed shaft is at and try to turn it clockwise. I usually turn it counter clockwise a bit then try to turn it clockwise and repeat this several times through several 360 deg rotations. Now if the clutches are good then should not move counter clockwise at all but if they do order replacements. Take a look at TSB 30 "TROUBLESHOOTING PAPER JAMS". Page 7 has a nice diagram of the clutches involved.

I carry the D0391164 (these are the ones I am talking about) and 1166 with me to change on these mfp's. T1 is a pain to change as you have to remove everything around the main board assy so it will swing out. T2 can be done easily just by removing the back cover. If I change one I change both as you have to remove T2 assy to get to the T1 and if one is bad its only a matter of time till your back doing the other.

I would not perform the motor check mentioned as when I have done so it kills the clutch completely 9 times out of 10 and then you have a down mfp. If T2 is working full time then just have them move everying to that tray till your clutches come in.

On the issue of the groan, I have noticed this for some time and especially when the humidity level changes here in sunny AZ. Its actually the sep pad vibrating. I have tried everything to stop it but have yet found anything that works permanently.
    Ricoh & Microsoft may pay the bills but Un*x saves my ass every day.
    MCSE/CCNE/ENS and other crap...

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    ok thanks

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Zeldaman's Avatar
    Hi there!
    I confirm with you about the clutches, but i donīt think this engine is genuine RICOH. Never seen such toy-clutches and the 3-D parts catalogue is infame!
    Iīve got also sep pad vibrating on 3 machines and have peeled of the cork-pad of the 1027,etc.. put it instead of the "plastic"-strip.
    This is now working for ca. 3 month without noise.
    Greetings...

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Oh I agree with you about the toy clutches. Looks like a spring from a plastic guide or something like that. I have the clutches on order, well backorder. So who knows when they'll come in. The customer is patient enough but not sure how long that will last. Is there something else I can do to make it work for now? I have taken all three clutches out and roughed up the plastic housing so the spring won't slip but that didn't help. Man can't wait till this machine is fixed and out of my hair. What a joke.

edgwcs

Jamming

Quote Originally Posted by catgoldfish View Post
    Hi all:

I having a constant jamming problem on a MPC2550. The guy was complaining about jamming when there is a full stack of paper in the cassette. He aid when there is half or less it works ok. I replaced the sep pad and feed roller and after I did that it always jams on me now. Put the old ones back and is still always jams. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks. I should also mention that it's the number 2 cassette. All the other cassettes 1, 3 and 4 work fine.
    Have you watched the feed clutch to see if it is turning when its feeding? watch the center of it if it is try shortening the paper life spring for that tray by bending the long spring in the shap of a lighting bolt on the longest straight endof the spring. All the models with that life system I bend the spring and it fixes it 99 % of the time.