Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Ricoh Technician
    Actually i had SC500 on a 1515 a couple of weeks ago, the customer had ignored the "replace drum" message for a long time, i replaced it with a new pcu, still SC 500, it was the main motor, had to replace it too. Probably gone broken after thousands of copies with overload from the old pcu.
    And about MP161 and MP171, we have a lot of these machines, i do not recall having SC500 on none of these.

Technician
    I think the problem is with the PCU. Maybe they changed something inside the PCU so it can work on 1515 and also on 201 but they didn't do a good job. Now I'm having big problems with a lot of PCU's regarding SC 500. The PCU is locked because the gears that rotate drum and development roller are damaged ( developer is spilling on the gears ). We hope that Ricoh will fix the problems because we have more than 3000 machines ( 1515-161-171-201).

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    SC 500 on ricoh mp 171 spf

I think that the gears in the lower developing unit are weaker in the newer drum units, that's why the 1515 worked fine. After you install a new drum unit in a 1515 it could have the same problem. I used after market toner for five years in the 1515's and it worked great. But after having several drums fail around 20k copies I switched to OEM toner. With OEM toner the drums are reaching 50k again and I have fewer problems with toner spillage.

The dev units that fail, seem to have too much toner packed into them which binds up the agitators and strips out the gears. I wonder if these machines could be adjusted to work better with after market toner?

CrowoodIndustries.com

Its normally where the chamber where the mag roller meets the drum

I agree with Robinh, I have had this problem a few times and it is always the same, compatible toner mixes and congeals with the developer and locks the unit solid.
    The problem can be cleared by stripping the drum apart from the dev unit and cleaning out the unit.
    Don't empty the dev tank, your just cleaning out the chamber not the whole unit, and don't worry about what small amount of dev you may loose when cleaning out the chamber it should be ok when you re-assemble.

Also please excuse the plug, we sell oem and compat toner to trade only. Please feel free to visit the website at Home

just one copy?? 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robinh View Post
    I wonder if these machines could be adjusted to work better with after market toner?
    I would have thought if they could work better with after market toner, then Ricoh would have designed them to use that type of toner.
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~Thomas Edison

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CrowoodIndustries.com View Post
    I agree with Robinh, I have had this problem a few times and it is always the same, compatible toner mixes and congeals with the developer and locks the unit solid.
    The problem can be cleared by stripping the drum apart from the dev unit and cleaning out the unit.
    Don't empty the dev tank, your just cleaning out the chamber not the whole unit, and don't worry about what small amount of dev you may loose when cleaning out the chamber it should be ok when you re-assemble.

Also please excuse the plug, we sell oem and compat toner to trade only. Please feel free to visit the website at Home
    The problem I have is that the gears that drive the agitating rollers in the lower dev unit are stripped out by the time you get an SC500 code. According to my parts manual you cannot buy the gears, they come as part of a lower dev unit ass'y. Back in the day when I worked for a local dealership we used aftermarket toner exclusively with Konica copiers. We had some trouble with Toshiba, but found if we used the aftermarket developer along with the toner we could make it work. Margins are tight so you need to find every angle you can get. But when the toner causes my drum unit to fail before I get 50% of it's life, I can't do that.

If you work for an aftermarket toner company, do you have any advice for how we can use your product without destroying the PCU?

Thanks!