Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Ricoh MPC4000 printing labels

Hi,

We have a customer who prints a lot of labels (or at least tries to) with their 2 MPC4000s.

It seems that neither of these fuse the labels very well, no matter which brand they use.

They have tried setting the paper type to "Labels", "Thick2", and "Thick 2", but to no avail.

I have heard (through the proverbial grapevine) that this series has a problems fusing labels in general.

Has anyone found a fix for this?

I have found nothing on the TSC site of any use for the issue.

Thanks!
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Senior Tech 250+ Posts Masterchief's Avatar
    We have a customer with 2 mpc2500 who had similar problems till they adjusted the directon of there label paper to landscape in the bypass, if their printing from a pc it might be worth checking the settings their using also

Quote Originally Posted by Masterchief View Post
    We have a customer with 2 mpc2500 who had similar problems till they adjusted the directon of there label paper to landscape in the bypass, if their printing from a pc it might be worth checking the settings their using also
    Thanks for the reply.

We've tried both portrait and landscape through the bypass - no luck. Ricoh actually recommends that labels be fed in the portrait direction.

We eliminated any driver issues by making copies directly off the glass, with no improvement.

BTW... I just notice a typo in my first post. I accidentally typed "Thick 2" twice, instead of "Thick 2" and "Thick 3".
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Senior Tech 250+ Posts Masterchief's Avatar
    Whats the condition of the fusing belt and pressure roller, have you tried using cardstock paper or OHP sheets to define it to just labels in general?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    yes make sure the fuser roller is in good shape. If it feels too spongy it's probably causing the problem.

Thanks for the replies!

While I have not been to either machine personally, (I'm an analyst), my tech tells me that both fusers, ITBs, etc... look good. I don't know how how many clicks are on them at this point.

I have been told that the most likely solution would be to put in a brand new fuser (not used or rebuilt); the only good news is that the old fuser would be reusable in a machine that doesn't run labels or other "challenging" stock.

We also called Avery Label, gave them the model of the MFP, and they recommended a specific label to use. The customer is going to try this, and let us know the results.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I had customer send print job to document server then select thick 2 from copy settings on bypass tray.
    It seems the print driver doesn't set thickness on bypass.
    Why do they call it common sense?

If it were common, wouldn't everyone have it?

That's a very good point.

While I have questioned this myself in the past (although not lately), we tried eliminating that possibility by copying (off the glass) using different thickness / type settings, and it did not help, at least not significantly.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nmfaxman View Post
    I had customer send print job to document server then select thick 2 from copy settings on bypass tray.
    It seems the print driver doesn't set thickness on bypass.
    It will as long as it's set for Driver/Command overrides Machine Settings. This will be found in User Tools/Printer/System/Bypass Tray Setting Priority. I've had no problems printing thick stock to the bypass with this model. If it's set for Machine Settings priority and the bypass is set as plain, then setting Thick in the driver will have no effect. Don't know if that is the issue in this case, but I just wanted to clarify.