Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Ricoh Aficio 2090 toner misting and background on copies.

Question Ricoh Aficio 2090 toner misting and background on copies.

I am a small independent tech. I have a customer, print shop that bought a new copier and asked if I could keep their old Aficio 2090 running for them. I told the customer i would, but if I got stuck they'd have to call the dealer back in. I did a few minor repairs and then it needed a PM, so installed drum "Aftermarket" developer "OEM", xfer belt, charge corona and grid, cleaning blade and brush.

The customer ran the machine for a couple of months and made 40k copies. They called for a copy quality issue and when I opened the front door I noticed some toner soiling the inside of the door. I removed the cover from the drum/developer unit and noticed that toner seemed to be misting from the front part of the developing unit. It had soiled the drum and coronas. I cleaned it all up but it went right back to misting and soiling copies within about 50 copies.

I'd like to try and fix it before I ask the customer to bring the dealer back in. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Robin

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar
    OEM drum would be a good start. Bellini's are twitchy enough, even worse with shite parts.
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts

Check the toner tubes 1 or more are probably pluged.
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I agree with Tonerbomb.

Clogged vacuum hoses were a bigger issue on the 1085, but I've seen it on the 2090s. You can use 1/4" ID hose from your local hardware store. It was such a big issue on the 1085s that I used to buy 100' spools.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

1/4" ID hose? This sounds like what I was leaning towards myself. I had an Aficio 550 with a similar problem. I tore it apart and found a component I would call a "Toner Pump"? It appeared to be designed to push the toner down the tube toward the collection bottle. When I tore it apart it had hardened toner inside. I cleaned it and the problem was resolved.

Thanks for the tips!

Robin

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

1/4 " internal diameter tubing, do you recommend a specific type of tubing?

General Manager 50+ Posts copyruss's Avatar
    I've seen the augers inside the tubes chew up hardware store tubing. One of the early modifications was replacing the tubing - the new tubing had a teflon sleeve inside so that the auger didn't catch it and chew it up. If you use the store tubing, replace it at PMs. Has it thrown any error codes for the toner pump motors? I've seen better motors in slot cars.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

No codes yet. I see that Precision Roller lists an OEM "Waste Toner Collection Tube" (PR#B8513 @ $51.95). The customer is trying to keep costs down on this machine and use it as a back up. So I will consult with the customer and let them make the call, pay for the OEM or cut some corners with hardware store tubing...

I really appreciate all the great input!

Robin

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Just to clear up which tubes I'm talking about. If you take off the back & right side covers, you'll find a clear canister on the exit side. It will have 1 large tube with an auger that comes diagonally from the toner bank & 2 vacuum hoses that route to the toner pump & the DV unit. There are 3 vacuum hoses in all.

As for which type to use, I just used the clear vinyl hose.

General Manager 50+ Posts copyruss's Avatar
    An engineering triumph!! The first time I saw the back and side panels of the first of the Belini products and saw hoses running everywhere for dry toner, little puffer motors that push toner through those tubes, I said "That, my friends, is job security - thank God for Ricoh design engineers!" I cursed them the first time I had to vacuum out the whole rear of one those pigs because one of those tubes split. Toner everywhere. Hated it...