Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Lead Technician 50+ Posts
    USB Printing with Windows 7 on MP C300

I have a lovely brand new MP C300. Set-up in the shop and it worked just fine. Hooked it up to a Windows XP PC via USB printer cable, worked great.
    Took it to the customer site, they just wanted to hook it up via USB. Plug in the USB cable, Windows 7 Pro 32-bit sees the USB device installs the proper MP C300 PCL5c driver for it, and tells me that it is ready to use. Tell it to print the test page, nothing happens. Open up notepad, tell it to print a page, dialog box pops up about sending the document to the printer, then closes like it does when it successfully sends a document. No document shows up in the printer queue, nothing prints.
    Get a laptop running Vista, plug in the same USB cable, Vista recognizes the printer installs the driver for it and prints like a charm.
    Four different drivers, numerous re-installs, reboots, plugging and unplugging, and 1.5 hours on the phone with Ricoh Tech Support gives no changes what-so-ever.
    It has all the latest firmware.

So, anybody got anything new to try? Have similar problems? Got a sledgehammer I can borrow?
    Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Vacuum Cleaning Expert 1,000+ Posts iMind's Avatar
    I would try the PCL6 driver:
    Bug Fixed

- The "Restore Defaults" function will no longer work after use of the Printer Driver Editor's "Display/Do not Display" function.
    - Bidirectional communication might not work if another Ricoh printer driver of any PDL is already installed on the system.
    - Inclusion of the ASCII character 0x13 (device control 3) in the PJL JOBNAME will result in garbled output.
    - The print settings of the first Excel Worksheet are applied to all subsequent worksheets in the job. This occurred even if "Increase auto-keep settings for applications" was off.
    - The Japanese character set "Shift-JIS" might be applied to jobs that do not contain any Japanese characters. This caused some extended-ASCII to appear garbled or not print at all.
    - Some of the images within a document might be shifted in relation to the positions of other images within the document.
    - Adobe Reader v7.x jobs containing data that is outside of the printable area, trigger a driver bug that results in an application error and nothing being printed.
    - If the driver is run on an MUI version of Windows, the bottom part of the driver UI might be cut off.
    We can all Win, but at the end we all loose. Save the greyhound

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar
    Any chance that your Windows 7 PC only has USB 1.1 0r 1.0?

The Ricoh machines are 2.0, and aren't exactly gracious about "dumbing down" to a lower, slower version.

I've seen tons of issues with USB mismatches before, where it looks like everything should work, but doesn't.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Passing Duplication Xpert 1,000+ Posts cobiray's Avatar
    After the 2nd test page not printing I would have just hung it on the network....
    the savin2535 is displaying well bet the hiter lamp is not shining and the lamp had been tested o.k.please kindly help.
    Samir: No, not again. I... why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam? I swear to God, one of these days, I just kick this piece of shit out the window.
    Michael Bolton: You and me both, man. That thing is lucky I'm not armed.

Quote Originally Posted by cobiray View Post
    After the 2nd test page not printing I would have just hung it on the network....
    USB should of been simple, so I didn't even bring networking items along. =/ They need to get an ethernet switch for me to do that anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by KenB View Post
    Any chance that your Windows 7 PC only has USB 1.1 0r 1.0?

The Ricoh machines are 2.0, and aren't exactly gracious about "dumbing down" to a lower, slower version.

I've seen tons of issues with USB mismatches before, where it looks like everything should work, but doesn't.
    I'm about 100% sure these computers are too new to have the option for anything but 2.0. I'll double check that when I'm there later though.

Quote Originally Posted by iMind View Post
    I would try the PCL6 driver:
    Bug Fixed

- The "Restore Defaults" function will no longer work after use of the Printer Driver Editor's "Display/Do not Display" function.
    - Bidirectional communication might not work if another Ricoh printer driver of any PDL is already installed on the system.
    - Inclusion of the ASCII character 0x13 (device control 3) in the PJL JOBNAME will result in garbled output.
    - The print settings of the first Excel Worksheet are applied to all subsequent worksheets in the job. This occurred even if "Increase auto-keep settings for applications" was off.
    - The Japanese character set "Shift-JIS" might be applied to jobs that do not contain any Japanese characters. This caused some extended-ASCII to appear garbled or not print at all.
    - Some of the images within a document might be shifted in relation to the positions of other images within the document.
    - Adobe Reader v7.x jobs containing data that is outside of the printable area, trigger a driver bug that results in an application error and nothing being printed.
    - If the driver is run on an MUI version of Windows, the bottom part of the driver UI might be cut off.
    Thanks for the suggestion, but no es bueno. PCL6 driver had no change on the system.

Passing Duplication Xpert 1,000+ Posts cobiray's Avatar
    Any chance you've swapped out the cable?

Occam's Razor says the simplest explanation is most likely the correct one....
    the savin2535 is displaying well bet the hiter lamp is not shining and the lamp had been tested o.k.please kindly help.
    Samir: No, not again. I... why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam? I swear to God, one of these days, I just kick this piece of shit out the window.
    Michael Bolton: You and me both, man. That thing is lucky I'm not armed.

I'm going to try connecting it onto the network, hopefully connecting a switch onto it doesn't cause a whole new array of problems. x.x

Need to make some ethernet cables...