Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Aficio 2020D - Smudging

Aficio 2020D - Smudging

I have a 2020D that has started intermittently smudging when printing/copying.
    I have recently done the drum and Cleaning blade (OEM), and fuser is good. Just wondering if anyone has a suggestion as to why this would be somewhat intermittent. I was at the clients office last week, and just cleaned up the area around the drum, and the problem did go away, but back again today. They are also using OEM toner.
    I have attached a screenshot of the type of thing that happens. It is sometimes much worse than this apparently, and sometimes, not at all.
    This client is a little out of the way for me to get to, so I'm trying to get all the info I can before going.
    This is actually a construction site office which can tend to become humid this time of year, as they don't have great A/C. Might this have something to do with it?
    Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hair Straightener Tech 500+ Posts rsyarcia's Avatar
    try to clean again the drum and cleaning blade after then apply setting powder to it. just an idea. check also the dev't unit.
    Nobody is perfect..

Aficio 2020D - Smudging

Quote Originally Posted by rsyarcia View Post
    try to clean again the drum and cleaning blade after then apply setting powder to it. just an idea. check also the dev't unit.
    I agree. I think it must be related to the drum and/or cleaning blade. It's just strange how it comes and goes. (I hate intermittent problems!) Thanks

Hair Straightener Tech 500+ Posts rsyarcia's Avatar
    there might be a part of the drum that is oily or accidentally touched. you have to love intermittent problem,lol.
    Nobody is perfect..

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Aficio 2020D - Smudging

The left most streak (under the word "bottle") doesn't go all the way to the edge. Is that the way it appears on the original or is that just a symptom of the scan you made for posting? If it's like that on the original then the problem will lay with the scanner. If not, then did this problem start after you replaced the PCU and blade? If so, then I agree to revisit the parts you put in.

Aficio 2020D - Smudging

Quote Originally Posted by teebee1234 View Post
    The left most streak (under the word "bottle") doesn't go all the way to the edge. Is that the way it appears on the original or is that just a symptom of the scan you made for posting? If it's like that on the original then the problem will lay with the scanner. If not, then did this problem start after you replaced the PCU and blade? If so, then I agree to revisit the parts you put in.
    No, this was actually a printed page that the client scanned and emailed to me. I then just took a screen shot of a portion of it. The page was actually printed sideways/laterally (left to right as you look at it), and the fact that these smudges just show up sort of randomly (albeit in similar places when they appear) but they don't go all the way across the page is interesting to me. It did happen after the drum and blade- but not until after about 7 weeks /10,000 pages