Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

Cool Hard drive error.

I am attending to a ricoh 2035. It has a hard drive of 20 gb which is not getting registered every now and then - several reboots are required before it can be recognized. My effort to install a 40gb hard drive is resulting with "hard driver error". I am unable to format this drive. The copier does come on but other features like the document server, scanner and printer are no longer registering on the panel. I have never had to do this and I don't know what the operating system required could be should be the cause of the problem. Please help.

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

Re: Hard drive error.

Have you made sure the jumpers are in the correct position, i.e. set to master? Was the drive used a new one or one that had been used previously on another machine / PC?
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Technician

this drive was not new - it was used on a pc I mean the 40gb. The jumpers are quite okay - this is easily confirmed through reinstalling the lame hard drive that works intermittently.

Reason I concluded the old drive was a lemon was due to the fact hat it did not end the hiccups even after formatting the drive four times.

My main idea was that formatting could make the 40gb hard drive work.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Ricoh drives are notorious for their power requirements. Make sure your drive takes the same amount of power as the old one, that it's completely wiped (no NTFS or FAT partitions at all), and that the jumpers are set to cable select.

Technician

Let me give it a try - will be back with a reply - many thanks for the chipping in.

FORMER Techie 1,000+ Posts tcs04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    Ricoh drives are notorious for their power requirements. Make sure your drive takes the same amount of power as the old one, that it's completely wiped (no NTFS or FAT partitions at all), and that the jumpers are set to cable select.
    Should the jumpers not be set to MASTER?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Do not format the hard drive, just use your windows ( any version) to initial it and make a a raw data drive, it should be good.