Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

Network printers OFFLINE after power outage

Hello! We have two (2) main printers that we use in our office.

(1) Ricoh Aficio MP C7500
    and
    (2) HP OfficeLaserJet 8500N

We recently lost power in our area and, of course, none of us thought to unplug the machines before the power was restored!

Now the Ricoh machine is on, status reads "Offline", and we cannot copy, scan, or print with this machine. There are no error messages but there is a constant red light on the start button. We had a service company out to look at the machine and they "think" one of the boards is fried.

We have not been using the HP machine because we are in need of a drum kit. However, today I just happened to notice that the status reads "Offline" for this machine as well. I'm thinking, "what are the chances that boards are fried on BOTH machines"?? So, I thought I would ask around to see if this is a somewhat common problem - printer status listed as "Offline" after a power outage. Are there other causes for this problem other than "your board is fried"??

Any suggestions or assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

Re: Network printers OFFLINE after power outage

If it was a decent enough surge, the controller could have been blown on both machines. You'll just have to get the service engineers to do what they must, I'm afraid. Oh, and get a surge protector in case this happens again.
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Always the possibility the HDD's crashed (particularly if the disk was being accessed when the power when out). Did the tech try and disconnect them and reboot?

From the Knowledge Base ....

[Symptom]
    Neither Please wait nor Ready is displayed in the Operation Panel, the Start key is illuminated in red, and the device cannot be used.

• The scanner application does not start.
    • The FAX application hangs at Starting.
    • Cannot enter SP mode.

Answer
    [Cause]
    HDD data error.
    [Resolution]
    First, confirm that the copy functionality can be used if the HDD connectors are removed.

1. Remove the FAX unit. (Remove only the interface. It is only necessary that the device cannot recognize the FAX features.)
    2. When the device is in SP mode, initialize the HDD image file. (SP5-832-002)
    3. Turn the main power switch back on.
    4. Download fixed stamp data. (SP5-853-001)
    5. Turn off the power and reset the fax unit.

If the procedure above does not fix the problem, try initializing the entire area in Step 2. (SP5-832-001)
    If the above-mentioned does not fix the problem, replace the HDD.

Technician

Thank you for your response teebee1234.

I dont know if the tech tried to disconnect them and reboot. I will ask on Monday. However, after reading the text from the Knowledge Base let me add a few more details.

*Copy - normal display, but cannot copy.
    *Printer - Screen reads: "Please wait", "offline" option selected and cannot choose "online"
    *Scanner - cannot access this screen at all

What is the "Knowledge Base"? ...is this something available online?

Also, I see that you are a Ricoh Technician in Northville. We are in Detroit. We purchased this machine at auction and I am not sure if our Service company is even qualified to handle Ricoh machines. Are you available to come out as a Service Technician? ...I do mean through your company if this is what you do?

Thank you very much!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stritz View Post
    Thank you for your response teebee1234.

I dont know if the tech tried to disconnect them and reboot. I will ask on Monday. However, after reading the text from the Knowledge Base let me add a few more details.

*Copy - normal display, but cannot copy.
    *Printer - Screen reads: "Please wait", "offline" option selected and cannot choose "online"
    *Scanner - cannot access this screen at all

What is the "Knowledge Base"? ...is this something available online?

Also, I see that you are a Ricoh Technician in Northville. We are in Detroit. We purchased this machine at auction and I am not sure if our Service company is even qualified to handle Ricoh machines. Are you available to come out as a Service Technician? ...I do mean through your company if this is what you do?

Thank you very much!
    Send me a PM with your contact info please

saraaab2k

Thanks guys for the usefull words that've been typed by your wonderfull hands
    it helped me alot ..
    many thx again

Technician

Thank you so very much teebee1234! The problem was resolved by rebooting the HDD. I sincerely appreciate your time and willingness to respond to my post. We could not have resolved the issue without your assistance.