Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Aficio 551 - SC440 and SC495

Just checked machine for first time - 888,000 pages...complaint was jamming which was occurring at first. Then I noticed it was jamming between the registration and drum/transfer and the drum was slowing down. No codes at first but then it got worse and began throwing 440 (main motor) and 495 (waste toner pipe/auger I believe).
    Normally I would order a main motor but wonder if something else is binding up. When the drum unit is out I can spin the gearing with the drum shaft pretty easily.
    Just want some input since I havn't heard of anyone replacing this motor. (Drum motor aka main motor).
    Anyone replaced power supplies in these machines for trouble like this?
    Old tech log showed repair for SC495's, I think they replaced the auger/toner pipe (but probably didn't fix the problem).
    We mostly work on Sharp's but are going to be servicing many Ricoh's soon.

Service Manager 250+ Posts unisys12's Avatar
    Remove your drum unit and open it up...

{Remove the charge unit(one screw and plug); the unit clam shells open, so look for the pivot point and find the two screws on the entrance side of the unit; remove'em and the top of the unit will open up}

Now, simple lift up on the drum and it will come out. From here, take a good look at your drum cleaning brush. I have seen these come apart if not replaced at their proper intervals. This will bind up the main drive. Also, if that is ok, remove the brush (on the drive side of the unit, find the gear that has provisions cut into the top of the gear for the brush to receive drive. There is a screw holding the gear to the shaft. remove the gear, followed by the screw and brass bushing for the brush shaft. Shift the brush to the drive side of the unit, then pull the opposite side out. This will allow you to fully remove the brush) take a look at the metal auger behind it. This auger can bind up, causing toner to back up and slow the speed of the drum. Hince causing both of your codes.

Better yet... Go into SP's and take a look at your PM counts. After entering SP's, just touch the tab labeled "preventive maintaince" or something like that. You know how it is, after awhile, you just mash buttons and not pay a lot of attention to what your mashing.

Anyway, what I am getting at is that your machine is probably due for a good`ol 300K PM. These machines have a 150K PM kit and a 300K PM kit. Do both, along with developer!! Also, if the drum looks a little faded in some areas, go ahead and replace it as well. As a side note to this, use the B070-9510 drums. Our dealership has been using them for awhile now in this family and easily get a 750K out of'um. Well, that is if you PM the machine like your suppose to anyway.

Ok! I think I have typed more just now then I have all day. I hope it helps you out.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

consumable page counts:

DV, drum blade, drum brush, drum pawls, ozone filter, optics dust filter, hot roller and strippers all have 295K on 'em.
    Drum has either 298K or 75K according to tech log (hard to read), drum entrance seal replaced 95K ago.
    Last good service was done 95K ago it seems (transfer belt, lower fuser roller and all fuser cleaning components, etc.) FYI. Thanks for the recommendations...

Service Manager 250+ Posts FRIDGEMAGNET's Avatar
    The waste toner systems on these used to block up occasionally and give these symptoms.

Service Manager 250+ Posts unisys12's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FRIDGEMAGNET View Post
    The waste toner systems on these used to block up occasionally and give these symptoms.
    One thing I forgot to mention, since Fridge reminded me - If you look on the back of the machine at the drive system, you will find a very narrow belt wraped around a thin gear that transfers drive to the toner reclaim clutch. Check that gear for play! It is pretty common for this gears inner race to actually round off on the shaft. When this happens, the reclaim auger has no drive and the system backs up. This will cause your 495 code. If it backs up enough, it will back up into the drum unit causeing a main motor lock, which is your other code.

As part of your 300K PM that is due, I would pull this reclaim unit and clean it. Seems like a pain at first, but after you do it, it's not that bad. If you have to order the PM kits, go ahead and clean it and the long white tube that runs to the front of the machine, just to get the customer going till the PM is performed. There is also a small black tube that leads to the waste toner pump. This must be cleaned out as well the pump.

A little trick my old service manager taught me before he passed away - A temp fix for the gear that transfers drive to the toner reclaim. If it's got play in it you can take about 1/2 an inch off a paper clip and fold it in half. Then place it, folded side first, into the space between the inner race of the gear and the flat part of the shaft. Then fold the two ends out against the gear. This will only work if there is play in the gear! If the inner race of the gear is completely rounded out, nothing but a new gear will help. But, this will at least buy you a day or two, until you get the new part in. You will also have to clean out the reclaim system to, so there is very little drag.

Anyway, good luck