Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

User Code not working

We have Ricoh Aficio 5500 and C2500 and previously on Windows XP machines the User Code pop-up would prompt on every print job. We have now moved to Windows 7 x64 and I have downloaded the PCL 6 drivers for Win 7 x64 and the pop-up is not working. It never appears.

Do I need to reconfigure something else now with this version of Windows?

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Re: User Code not working

None of the standard Ricoh drivers have pop-ups "built in"; a dealer with the correct customization tool must do this.

This is normally, and should be, a chargeable service. I normally charge my customers the minimum, which is one hour.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Technician

I've read about this tool but I'm wondering why would I have to pay for a feature that is in the driver just disabled? Panasonic offers this same feature which we have at 8 of our 9 offices and this works without additional tools or fees. Seems a bit odd. Is this tool not available to administrators?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    User Code not working

A pcl driver editor is now available to the public at the 'ricoh-usa.com' site. I believe it's under the support section. It's not a disabled feature,you are adding a feature through driver customization.

Technician

I've downloaded 2.0 and 1.1 and neither work. Both found under the support page. Unrecognized driver. And when it says enable pop-up I took that at it's already coded in the driver it's just a matter of changing a 1 to 0 or yes to no. Either way why would this feature not be there by default when several other manufactures I've dealt with have it there by default?

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Good catch, TeeBee, thanks.

My bad, I had totally forgotten that the tool was now made public (it didn't used to be).

The tool will not work with all drivers. If your "driver of choice" isn't supported, you may need to use the Universal PCL6 driver; I'm 99+% sure that it is supported.

BTW... Adding pop-ups is not a simple matter of toggling a "1" to a "0" or vice versa. The customization adds a number of lines of XML code to a config file.

I've argued for years that the drivers should natively support pop-ups, but they never have. Having worked with Canon drivers since day one, I can tell you that they have supported pop-ups without modification for years - but what do I know?
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    User Code not working

I ran into the same problem yesterday, new Win7 64 bit that they wanted the popup for. I tried using the PCL editor & manually modifying the RCF file without any luck.

What I found odd is that it wouldn't recognize the Mp6001 in the editor dropdown even though I used the Universal driver. The program would only modify the driver by clicking on the "Open" icon & browsing to the Universal print driver. I also tried manually editing the RCF file using the PCL5 driver, but still no popup. In both cases I verified that the RCF file had the "popupbeforeprint" line inserted before re-installing the printer.

How'd ya manage that? 1,000+ Posts

AFAIK, the popup can currently only be enabled with 32 bit drivers/OS, and as mentioned not every driver is readily editable. I believe it can be done manually if you know what XML lines to add and where to add then on most of the PCL drivers.