Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Technician

Re: 2232 slightly grainy looking and to red

Quote Originally Posted by teebee1234 View Post
    To get the best possible output, you will be better off starting from scratch. Gut the inside, clean the ID sensors, remove the transfer belt, clean the transfer rollers or replace if need be) and scrub the aluminum roller that faces the ID sensors, replace the transfer belt, replace all pcu's and dev units and recalibrate. What you should end up with is the best that it is capable of, which will be less then the mpc3500 but better then you have now. Trying to tweek the densities by forcing toner will just prolong your grief.
    True, but if the customer hardly use color, doing all that would just be a waste as even after all that, a couple energy saver cycles and auto cal cycles, colors are again grainy and washed out. So easy fix, force toner. Even the MPC series have this issue.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts George J's Avatar

I'd like to add this little point, only because I spent nearly a 7 hours working to get this resolved.

Client called to say that the color quality was off, but only when printing. They did the calibration etc etc... but compared to their HP printer the colors were too yellow and grainy! At first I did go through the whole 'colors can't be matched exactly between different makes, models' speech, but with certain prints the quality was really awful. When looking at the prints without further reference the quality was acceptable at best, but it lacked detail and had over pronounced yellows.

Nothing I did seemed to change this. No sp mode, toner forcing, changing PCU/Dev units/ t belts helped for more that 6 - 7 prints. Now the odd thing was: the colors were fine when copying!

I called in assistance and the senior tech checked all the sp settings, did the calibration again (as I did 3 or 4 times before?) and found nothing wrong. He finally changed the NV RAM and after setting all the SP modes the colors for printing were the same as for copying. And more importantly for the customer they were in the same ballpark as the HP printer.

The senior tech then remarked how it's not the first time that he found a faulty NV ram to cause weird print quality issues...

Technician

Good to know!

Service Manager 250+ Posts Ianizer's Avatar

It's certainly no new "Tech Bulletin" to remind that color quality has a habit of degrading drastically with low volume color usage one both these series. Force toner add may be one solution, and of course a deeper problem could exist...
    May I suggest simply running 200 full color copies, inducing Forced P-Ctl & pwr cycling before proceeding?
    -I
    My name Peggy.
    You got problem?

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Ianizer View Post
    It's certainly no new "Tech Bulletin" to remind that color quality has a habit of degrading drastically with low volume color usage one both these series. Force toner add may be one solution, and of course a deeper problem could exist...
    May I suggest simply running 200 full color copies, inducing Forced P-Ctl & pwr cycling before proceeding?
    -I
    Absolutely, correct! I assumed each tech knows their machines and their history, simply going to another tech's machine and doing forced toner is definately a poor decision. Knowing my machines this works out quite well.

Service Manager 250+ Posts Ianizer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silvia0073 View Post
    Absolutely, correct! I assumed each tech knows their machines and their history, simply going to another tech's machine and doing forced toner is definately a poor decision. Knowing my machines this works out quite well.
    I hesitated to even mention it. It's elmentary.
    -I
    My name Peggy.
    You got problem?

copierman 250+ Posts
    2232 slightly grainy looking and to red

You could try this as a last resort if the colours are weak ( although this was to remedy an sc 285 code)

Set SP3-125-003 to a value of 2 to enable Job End & Non-use Self Check Mode.
    Note: This will instruct the machine to perform Auto Density Adjustment every 200
    prints at the next job end (operation lasts approximately two to six minutes).

Set SP3-125-005 to a value of 0 (disable).
    Note: This will instruct the machine to ignore all environmental factors when performing
    process control.
    Networking skills are advantageous but use of a 3m vacuum cleaner is essential

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

thanks for the advice. its not that the colors are weak...they are very good. its that the cust complains that the prints which have skintones in them are always to much towards the red unless he makes adjustments each time he prints something. I have never tried to change the balance on this machine and was wondering if its something I need to do to make the balance less red after the auto calibration is done or if the cust should be making adjustments through whatever application he is using? He is ok with the slight grainy look but does not like constantly having to tweek the color evertime he prints. as i said early on he was happy until we installed a newer color copier in a diff. dept that makes perfectly balanced color prints.

copierman 250+ Posts
    2232 slightly grainy looking and to red

Well you could go into the manual gamma adjust, but i generally stay away from that, one other thing is that may be an icc profile for this machine to try with the driver.
    Networking skills are advantageous but use of a 3m vacuum cleaner is essential