Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    SC 500 on Ricoh aficio 171

Question SC 500 on Ricoh aficio 171

I continue to have problems with the PCU's on the Ricoh Aficio MP171, 161 and 1515 failing early. It seems like the developing unit is over full of toner and it spills over into the gears that drive the dev unit agitators. The developer then wears out the gears and it locks the machine up causing the main motor code SC 500.

I switched from aftermarket to OEM toner and it seemed to help. But I'm still having these PCUs fail prematurely even with OEM toner. I always initialize the developer when I install the new drums and I made sure that all other settings were still at the factory defaults. I wonder if there is some adjustment to the toner replenishing system I might do to increase the life of the PCU?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Robin

Re: SC 500 on Ricoh aficio 171

Quote Originally Posted by Robinh View Post
    I continue to have problems with the PCU's on the Ricoh Aficio MP171, 161 and 1515 failing early. It seems like the developing unit is over full of toner and it spills over into the gears that drive the dev unit agitators. The developer then wears out the gears and it locks the machine up causing the main motor code SC 500.

I switched from aftermarket to OEM toner and it seemed to help. But I'm still having these PCUs fail prematurely even with OEM toner. I always initialize the developer when I install the new drums and I made sure that all other settings were still at the factory defaults. I wonder if there is some adjustment to the toner replenishing system I might do to increase the life of the PCU?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Robin
    PRE Baka sc500 SC500: Paper Feed, Transport, Duplexing
    SC501 B 1st Tray (Tandem Tray) Feed Error
    SC502 B 2nd Tray (Universal Cassette) Feed Error
    One of the following occurred at the start of the job:
    • The tray 1 lift sensor does not switch on 10 s after the tray lift motor switches on and starts lifting the bottom plate.
    • The tray lift sensor was on before the pick-up solenoid switched on.
    • When the tray lowered, the tray lift sensor did not go off within 1.5 sec.
    • The paper end sensor of the tandem tray did not detect the lower limit within 10 sec.
    Note: Another paper tray cannot be used until the problem is resolved.
    • Remove and reset the paper tray
    • Tray lift motor harness disconnected or broken
    • Paper or other obstacle trapped between tray and motor

• Pick-up solenoid disconnected or broken
    • Paper or other obstacle blocking operation of pick-up solenoid

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts Eric1968's Avatar

You don't need to initialize the developer on these machines. They do that automatically when the PCU is replaced. If you're doing it a second time, developer can wear out causing toner leaking.

just one copy?? 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eric1968 View Post
    You don't need to initialize the developer on these machines. They do that automatically when the PCU is replaced. If you're doing it a second time, developer can wear out causing toner leaking.
    I have replaced as many of these PCU's as the next tech, so I won't say this is at all common, but I have had 2 of these units fail to automatically initialize the dev. Dead give away if the machine is asking for a new PCU, the message will not disappear, however if the machine has thrown sc500 and replacement PCU was not displayed you must check vsg etc. to be sure.
    The reason these 2 unit failed was due to the contacts which open or close (it;s been a while, I can't exactly remember) the circuit when the developer gears first turn, had already shifted to its open/closed state, perhaps during rough transport.
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~Thomas Edison

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Question Re: SC 500 on Ricoh aficio 171

I've opened up several of these failed PCU's. All of them are locked up, you can't turn the gears. The PCU seems to be over full of toner, to the point where it may spill over the back of the lower unit, spilling out into the base of the machine and into the gears. The gears in the PCU are chewed up from the extra work of driving the over full developer and from having developer material spilled into them.

A couple of my machines have over 500K on them. For the first four years of operation they ran flawlessly. The PCU's often went 60-70k before copy quality dropped off and I replaced them. I even ordered a replacement drum from Katun and rebuilt one myself. It ran another full cycle. But recently the PCU's are failing around 20-30k. I found another post that spoke of a field engineering bulletin listing bad lot's of PCU's.

I replied to this post over in the thread titled "Drum type 1515 dying early" here... http://www.copytechnet.com/forums/ri...tml#post246746

Hi there!
    In Germany we´ve got a new technical Information from RICOH, that there exist a whole series of PCU´s with very bad gears.They gave us the Lot-No´s: S00091200609-S00101200774 S10091201847-S10101202968 S20091209098-S20101208286 S30091216985-S30101219345
    Greetings...
    I sure am hoping that Ricoh solves this problem fast. I put my customers on Supply and Service agreements so I eat the cost of drums. DOH!

Thanks for any ideas, I appreciate any and all feedback!

Robin

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Lightbulb Re: SC 500 on Ricoh aficio 171

This Parts & Service Manual can now be purchased for $12.77 and downloaded immediately after payment from

Just Manuals ~ The Internet's largest selection of manuals ~ Instant Downloads

Paul@justmanuals.com