Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Info request about PaperTray Auto Switching.

I wonder if on a single MSWORD print job (made by as example 100pages), with different page layouts and dimensions (such as, A4,B4 and A3)
    these machine (MPC6501 in particular) automatically switches between diiferent papertrays and/or LCT.

I know mostly works with A3 and A4, but I encounterd some difficulties with B4 Pages.

Any advice or help is appreciated.

Thanks

Vincenzo
    29 rouge unpair manque.... cous cous....

It's not easy being green 1,000+ Posts Cipher's Avatar

Re: Info request about PaperTray Auto Switching.

There are tick boxes via the print driver properties under the accessories tab where you can choose to enable or disable 'Apply Auto Paper Select' for each tray.
    These tick boxes may be greyed out if you are using a print driver share or have limited access rights.

When Auto Paper Select is disabled the machine should stop and ask for the tray to be refilled.

There is also some additional settings on the machine under ' 123 > Printer Features '.

Tray Switching

You can specify whether or not the machine automatically switches paper trays if paper
    of the specified size and type is not loaded in the driver-designated tray.

Default: [Off]
    Extended Auto Tray Switching

You can select whether or not to automatically switch to a suitable tray when the current tray runs out of paper.
    When [On] is set, the extended auto tray switching is priority, regardless of the printer driver settings.
    When printing on tab stocks, [Extended Auto Tray Switching] setting is disabled.

Default: [Off]

Another common issue that many end users are not aware of is any page within a word document can be configured to be printed from any tray.
    As this is done from within Microsoft Word and saved along with the document it will override / supersede the print driver tray setting.

Microsoft word > page setup > paper
    Last edited by Cipher; 10-07-2011 at 09:55 PM.
    • Knowledge not shared, is eventually knowledge that becomes lost... like tears in the rain.

Fully qualified technician for Ricoh - Canon - Sharp - HP - Brother

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

thank you for your help, but I think I was misunderstood.I did not mean switching trays when running out of paper, but in those cases when the MSWord document is made by two or more page layout.Is in this case, ricoh combination of "driver/machine" would switch through trays ?Thanks.Vincenzo

Ah I see.

What kind of difficulties are you having when B4 sized pages are used?
    • Knowledge not shared, is eventually knowledge that becomes lost... like tears in the rain.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I would like to know only if it is going to switch or not.
    3 years a go, with a spc811dn we encoutetred some difficulties. And since we are going to deliver a mpc6500 to a new customer with this specific need
    I would be ready to help him.

Sent through fantastic Asus Trasformer Tablet using Tapatalk

B4 Short Edge Feed can be used from trays 2 & 3 and the LCT with the additional conversion kit.
    I can't remember if it auto detects the B4 size or if it needs to be set manually though.

As far as I'm aware tray switching would not occur if auto tray select is disabled for the B4 tray on the machine for copying and on the driver for printing.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
    B4 Short Edge Feed can be used from trays 2 & 3 and the LCT with the additional conversion kit.
    I can't remember if it auto detects the B4 size or if it needs to be set manually though.

That's the big matter.
    Our customer should print big Word Documents, 700/1000 pages, with multiple page formats.
    Before ordering LCT with conversion kit (2k euros) we would be sure that the machine will feed paper correctly.

We'll look for an installation here in italy and provide some B4's for testing. A little B4, knocking at the door! :-)
    Thanks for your help.