Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

Printing Postcards

Irritating technician question here I'm afraid!

I would like to start printing postcards, but on 'postcard' card - so shiny on one side.

Any idea how this is done? I know I can't put inkjet paper through the machines, so I imagine I can't put this through either?

In which case, how do people actually print postcards en mass? Is there special equipment I need?

Thanks for any advice.

mccoyh

Re: Printing Postcards

It is usually done with a printing press or offset printing. Both of which are large and expensive.

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

Best way to do it would be from the bypass but with "Thick 3" as the paper setting. Also, make sure whoever you buy the blank cards from GUARANTEE the cards are suitable for laser printers, that way if it wrecks your machine, you've got some comeback. What breed of machine are you likely to be feeding these through anyway?
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Technician

Well not definate for now, I don't want to do it if it's going to wreck the equipment, but current machine is Aficio 3235c (only colour one we currently have)- due for an upgrade very shortly though, so is there anything I should look out for in particular?

clean polygonal motor, in laser, this is the cause of a side clearer than other

Technician 50+ Posts

If thick 3 doesnt work then I have had really good luck with Special paper 2 for coated or slick paper.

Passing Duplication Xpert 1,000+ Posts cobiray's Avatar

I don't recall for sure, but I don't think the B180 series of machines has a thick 3 setting. IIRC, they only do thick 2 through the bypass single sided. I think they only handle up to 43lb paper which isn't very heavy if you're looking to run postcards.

The newer color units run the thick paper much more reliably and can be fed through the paper trays, depending on the model. With any special media, you will have an increase chance of jamming in addition to more wear and tear on consumable items. I have a customer who has a run of heavy stock weekly on a MPC4000 and the life of nearly every consumable is significantly decreased. Just something else to think about if this is your only or primary machine for output, it could be impacted by running.

If you have a discussion with a sales person about the machine, make sure you mention that you want to run these and an approximate amount and frequency of the run. A quarterly postcard will make much less impact than say a weekly run of the the postcards. I can't promise the sales person will listen, but at least you've let them know before purchasing.
    the savin2535 is displaying well bet the hiter lamp is not shining and the lamp had been tested o.k.please kindly help.
    Samir: No, not again. I... why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam? I swear to God, one of these days, I just kick this piece of shit out the window.
    Michael Bolton: You and me both, man. That thing is lucky I'm not armed.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Printing Postcards

Probably the most important thing to do once you have narrowed your selection is to take the exact stock you intend to print on and go to the dealer(s) showroom and run test prints on them. That will give you a pretty good idea of how the stock will feed and the output will appear. Or better yet try and have a demo machine delivered to your business for a few weeks.

Technician

We have been recommended an 4500 machine - 'recycled' although, to be honest, I'm not convinced on the whole recycled scheme. I think it's just rebranding outdated machines - and I've got plenty of those already!

I'll try and hunt down some postcard card and see what to make of that.

Thanks for all the responses.

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

Best machine for this will probably be an MPC6000 or similar with the cards being fed from the bypass. That way, the paper path is straight through the machine with no turnarounds. It'll be much faster too.
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.