Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Printing with user's identity MPC3500

Large company employees share a networked copier printing. Many times they printed out but don't come to get them.
    I wonder if the MPC3500 offer any printing with user's identity on it. then we know where to get them.
    Thank you for your precious input.

Technician 50+ Posts

Re: Printing with user's identity MPC3500

I don't know about printing user on the document. Some companies program a separator page with the users name on it. You could also try locked print and it erik only print when the users come to the machine and manually print them. Problem with that is you will start filling up memory. I would go with the separator page.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Printing with a separate page with user name on it is very good idea. does it programmable with the copier itself? or we have to use third party software. thanks.

It's not easy being green 1,000+ Posts Cipher's Avatar

One of our customers uses 'follow me printing'.

Basically they can go up to any of their MFDs and swipe their security tag, then they make a selection from a list of their submitted print jobs to be printed.

I'm not a huge fan of these third party Java applications but from what I've seen this one does actually work pretty well.
    • Knowledge not shared, is eventually knowledge that becomes lost... like tears in the rain.

Fully qualified technician for Ricoh - Canon - Sharp - HP - Brother

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Here's a link to MS support on how to create a custom separator page. There are already preformatted separator pages in the System32 folder (a different one for each type of driver -PCL,PS..). I believe the default will print the user, date, time, job # and maybe some other things. They can be edited using Notepad with special characters to customize them.
    To use the default separator page, go to the printer properties at each workstation and select the Advanced tab, Separator Page button, browse to the file (should take you right to Windows>System32), select the correct .sep file, ex. 'pcl.sep'. Now everytime that user prints, it will print that page first with the info from their workstation (User name, date, time, etc.).

Separator pages

Quote Originally Posted by wfinn View Post
    I don't know about printing user on the document. Some companies program a separator page with the users name on it. You could also try locked print and it erik only print when the users come to the machine and manually print them. Problem with that is you will start filling up memory. I would go with the separator page.
    wfinn, do you work for a dealer in Lansing? My current territory covers Brighton, Howell, Okemos and Lansing.

Technician 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by teebee1234 View Post
    wfinn, do you work for a dealer in Lansing? My current territory covers Brighton, Howell, Okemos and Lansing.
    Lansing, KS is where I am from but my office is in Kansas City, KS and I work within about a 60 mile radius from there.

Quote Originally Posted by wfinn View Post
    Lansing, KS is where I am from but my office is in Kansas City, KS and I work within about a 60 mile radius from there.
    Then I guess there's not much of a chance running into you! That's a slight haul from MI...

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

Separator pages can either be set up on a server (if the printer is shared that way) or on each individual's workstation. One disadvantage of sep pages, though: While it separates the jobs nicely, if the customer prints a lot of one and two page jobs, it's a real paper/toner/money waster. If the jobs have a good number of pages, the effect is negligible.

You also have the option of using locked Print, which is already built into the machine. The user prints the job (with a code) then releases it at the printer when they are ready - no wasted clicks that way.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

Passing Duplication Xpert 1,000+ Posts cobiray's Avatar

If they aren't picking up print jobs right away, you could suggest using the lock/hold feature in the print driver. This would hold the jobs until the customer comes up to release the jobs and save them some paper in the long run.
    the savin2535 is displaying well bet the hiter lamp is not shining and the lamp had been tested o.k.please kindly help.
    Samir: No, not again. I... why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam? I swear to God, one of these days, I just kick this piece of shit out the window.
    Michael Bolton: You and me both, man. That thing is lucky I'm not armed.