Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    copierman 250+ Posts
    Aficio 350 noise

Aficio 350 noise

Hi guys, I have an aficio 350 that i briefly looked at (customer wanted to go home) this evening, when powered on it makes a knocking noise. I looked at the back of the machine and it seems to be related to the transfer belt clutch (it seems to be operating a bit slow although no codes).

Have any of you techs had this trouble, just need a guide basically as my brief visit did not allow me time to find the prob.

Cheers.

It's not easy being green 1,000+ Posts Cipher's Avatar
    Hard to say sitting here.

I would imagine a failing transfer clutch would generate a error code as it has a H.P sensor detecting the position of the cam.
    (The service code history on the SMC logging would tell you if any had occured).

But I would definely check the usual suspects first though like the fusing unit.
    As the pressure and cleaning roller can cause such knocking noises.
    • Knowledge not shared, is eventually knowledge that becomes lost... like tears in the rain.

Fully qualified technician for Ricoh - Canon - Sharp - HP - Brother

tonyd

noise

hi leo

how about the drum drive gear. ive had a few of these causing noise as well as pcq

copierman 250+ Posts
    Aficio 350 noise

Cheers for the prompt reply Daz, the fusers ok as i changed the ufr in the process, theres a metal gear at the top that swings over and im wondering if its that. I did look at the smc and i saw an occurece of sc 403 so im getting a clutch for it, just seem as if the noise came from some other part of the machine.

It's not easy being green 1,000+ Posts Cipher's Avatar
    Yer the worst type of service calls for me are for noises and squeaks.
    It's not so bad when it's loud and fairly apparent but squeaks have got to be the worst.
    I spent the best part of two hours the other day tracking down a damn squeak that a customer was moaning about LOL.

Anyway let us know how it goes.
    • Knowledge not shared, is eventually knowledge that becomes lost... like tears in the rain.

Fully qualified technician for Ricoh - Canon - Sharp - HP - Brother

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Scott_Lewis's Avatar

my bad, maybe..

[quote=DaZ;13522]Yer the worst type of service calls for me are for noises and squeaks.
    It's not so bad when it's loud and fairly apparent but squeaks have got to be the worst.
    I spent the best part of two hours the other day tracking down a damn squeak that a customer was moaning about LOL.

I had a call today about the finisher squeaking on Di251 Minolta. I told then that it all sounds normal to me for a 5 year old machine.

Anyway, when they really squeak they get real bad. I will go after what I consider a legitimate squeak in any part of the machine. But, I wasn"t going to chase down a marginal noise in the finisher. They will have to complain to the boss, first.

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts
    Aficio 350 noise

It's a 350 they all make noises , from day 1. The transfer clutch is notorious for such. Drum drive pulley's may make noise but also show CQ and code problems. Time for a new machine!
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

copierman 250+ Posts
    Aficio 350 noise

New machine? Theres years left in this POS!

I found the problem and it was:

When i took off the main drive motor assembly, there is a black drive gear directly above it that backs up to another gear behind it, well that gear had a couple of worn teeth, when the transfer clutch was engaged the extra drive required would cause it to jump. I replaced the transfer clutch also, as i have many of these machines in for scrap (luckily!)

Thanks for the prompt replies guys