Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

MPC4500 - SC549?

Hey all,

Had a machine repeatedly punting this code up over the last few days. I have swapped out the two fuser sensors and then the whole fusing unit itself but it is still happening!

Is it possible that a machine sitting in a very cold environment could encounter this? I know those sensors monitor the fusing belt rotation so if it was taking the copier an age to warm up after being off all night in the freezing cold could it get this error?

A bit stuck so any advice welcomed!

It's not easy being green 1,000+ Posts Cipher's Avatar

Re: MPC4500 - SC549?

I would be inspecting the ferrite roller on the fuser (the plastic notches at ends of the rollers tend wear out and slip).
    Clean the small ferrite gear teeth, and the sensor and actuator.

If that fails the next step is the small motor and couple of gears right in the rear of the machine.
    The gear teeth can snap off or dirt can impede them, it's a bit of a mission to check out though.
    • Knowledge not shared, is eventually knowledge that becomes lost... like tears in the rain.

Fully qualified technician for Ricoh - Canon - Sharp - HP - Brother

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

The fuser has been changed so I would have presumed that covered the ferrite roller?

The gear sounds like a nightmare - the machine does reset the error and will run for hours before it returns though. Wouldn't a busted gear just fail everytime a copy was taken?

The SMC report shows the code coming up first thing every morning so I am tempted to say it is the freezing cold temperatures that are causing it!

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts Eric1968's Avatar

Had this with an MP C3500 every monday morning. I replaced the sensors and the whole Fusing Unit and never saw it come back. Did you replace the Fusing Unit with a brand new one or with a refurbished one?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Nah I just swapped out a fuser from a MPC3500 - it had done about 20k and never had any problems (the sensors were also from this machine)

Is it worth getting a new unit in there do you think? Wonder why this would make a difference?

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts Eric1968's Avatar

Don't know if it will work for you, but for me it did.

It's not easy being green 1,000+ Posts Cipher's Avatar

fg.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by OutlawTorn View Post
    The gear sounds like a nightmare - the machine does reset the error and will run for hours before it returns though. Wouldn't a busted gear just fail everytime a copy was taken?
    No not necessarily.

The ferrite roller only really moves on start up for it's home position and to alter position when switching between SEF / A5 etc, it's not constantly rotating.
    Inside the shiny tube are magnets and a copper stripe, depending on the position is where the eddy currents will be attracted to and that area of the belt gets heated up.

The thing I've noticed is the ferrite gear gets pretty dirty over time as you swap out and rebuild units.
    It only appears to take a small lump of dirt between the teeth to lock out / over power the tiny motor and there is your SC549.
    The same can be true for the worm gear and small gear in the rear of machine that you can't see without taking it out (which is a pain).
    But my point is the problem can be a fairly intermittent as one chipped tooth or dirt build up may not always prevent movement.

Note.
    I normally only take that tiny motor out and inspect it as a last resort / if there is a ongoing problem of SC549.
    Last edited by Cipher; 12-06-2011 at 11:52 PM.
    • Knowledge not shared, is eventually knowledge that becomes lost... like tears in the rain.

Fully qualified technician for Ricoh - Canon - Sharp - HP - Brother

Technician

if smc shows the error comes out early morning,i will try to disable the auto shut off mode & let it on all the time to prevent the cold start ups in the morning,or might hv to update the firmware

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vinli View Post
    if smc shows the error comes out early morning,i will try to disable the auto shut off mode & let it on all the time to prevent the cold start ups in the morning,or might hv to update the firmware
    This is exactly what I did! It does seem to be helping so far as the machine hasn't been back in for 4 days since I did it so fingers crossed. We have had quite a few of these SC549 codes in the field lately and I have to think its the current extremely cold temperatures in sunny Scotland that are causing them.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    MPC4500 - SC549?

Zed's Goose's Guide has some interesting tips on that error:

http://www.copytechnet.com/forums/ri...21-2011-a.html