Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts
    C2050  hole in the bottom of the dup

C2050 hole in the bottom of the dup

In searching for a bending corner problem, I had the duplexer off and at the bottom of the cover is a hole. inside the hole, accessable with fingertips is a black lever that can slide front and rear about 1 1/2 inches. It is in line with the BP roller but doesnt seem to have anything to do with it. I dont see it lines up with a switch and moving it in either direction doesnt seem to affect anything. Maybe its for an accessory. Anybody got a clue what this lever does? That hole has to be there for some reason.

You never realize how cheap a professional is until after you let an amateur do it.
    A+; Network +; PDI+

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: C2050 hole in the bottom of the dup

OK, I'll bite!!
    You got me intrigued, couldn't find any reference to it in the service manual or the training manual but found a picture of it in the 3D parts manual, D039 2711, Lever. commpression, spring.
    Next step was to strip the duplex off a very bent MP C2051 in our workshop ( thanks to Toll Transport and the knuckle dragging forklift driving goons they employ) 10 min with a nut driver and small pry bar ( well, I did say it was bent) and all was revealed!
    As you slide it from one side to the other it increases the pressure on the bypass feed seperation pad spring. Obviously you adjust this to feed thicker stock and envelopes through the bypass.

While doing this little exersize a few things occured to me:
    It could explain why some of this range feed envelopes and others don't.
    Does the girl who does the customer training know its there?
    What happened the the section in Ricoh service manuals that described in detail how each section of the copier worked?
    Why wasn't this in the tech training manual? (might be in the ops manual but I've got to leave something for you to do)
    I hate 3D parts manuals
    Don't ever send anything by Toll ever again.
    Last edited by Lagonda; 03-06-2012 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Grammar
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Field Supervisor 2,500+ Posts

Thanks Lagonda. Makes perfect sense. I hate the 3D too. I'll have to check out the KO man again.I combed the TTL and PL without a clue.
    Good work

You never realize how cheap a professional is until after you let an amateur do it.
    A+; Network +; PDI+

FORMER Techie 1,000+ Posts tcs04's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: C2050 hole in the bottom of the dup

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    OK, I'll bite!!
    You got me intrigued, couldn't find any reference to it in the service manual or the training manual but found a picture of it in the 3D parts manual, D039 2711, Lever. commpression, spring.
    Next step was to strip the duplex off a very bent MP C2051 in our workshop ( thanks to Toll Transport and the knuckle dragging forklift driving goons they employ) 10 min with a nut driver and small pry bar ( well, I did say it was bent) and all was revealed!
    As you slide it from one side to the other it increases the pressure on the bypass feed seperation pad spring. Obviously you adjust this to feed thicker stock and envelopes through the bypass.

While doing this little exersize a few things occured to me:
    It could explain why some of this range feed envelopes and others don't.
    Does the girl who does the customer training know its there?
    What happened the the section in Ricoh service manuals that described in detail how each section of the copier worked?
    Why wasn't this in the tech training manual? (might be in the ops manual but I've got to leave something for you to do)
    I hate 3D parts manuals
    Don't ever send anything by Toll ever again.
    You have a GIRL for customer training !!!???

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tcs04 View Post
    You have a GIRL for customer training !!!???
    Well, when I say "girl" I was just being polite and hopefully not sexest! She is on holiday overseas at the moment celebrating a big birthday but compaired to us old farts in service she is just a mear child.
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

If the technicians don't know that it's there nor what it's used for then how in the heck is ANYBODY in a customer training position ever going to know?
    You KNOW how it is...half the time the salespeople come to US with their questions and they are usually the ones who train the Customer liason people..not the techs
    BTW Lagonda...who do you work for in Brissie?