Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Ricoh 1035 - Fax over vonage

Ricoh 1035 - Fax over vonage

I have a customer who has intermittent problems receiving faxes over a vonage "phone" line.

Of course their junky brother fax works fine.

Is there any setting I can change to make it work better? Is there an overseas mode I could turn on?

Thanks
    tinfox

Service Manager 250+ Posts unisys12's Avatar
    Try lowering the modem speed bps to around 14.4k or less. We have a customer with a similar set-up and this is how we resolved it. By the way, this has to be done in the Fax bit switches from SP's. Can't remember the switch right off hand, but it is in the manual. Look under the SP Fax settings and you should find it.

Hope this helps.

The Real JB
    Unisys12 is right, but there is another way you might want to approach it. It's been a LONG time since I worked on fax machines, so forgive me if he terminology is incorrect. There are (were) two settings affecting MODEM speed. The first is the maximum speed, which will affect ALL TX and/or RX activity. The other is the error checking done before starting page data transfer. Tighten up the errors allowed and you should only get slower reception when you have poor phone line connections. Oh, and the reason their cheapie fax works? Most likely the MODEM. Higher-end fax machines use better MODEM chips (all Ricoh boxes used to use Rockwell, which in the day was THE undisputed king, but I don't know about today). Cheapie boxes use, well, cheapie MODEM chips.

Copier Gawd 50+ Posts

no go

fax over vonage will not work reliably because of the way vonage sends data

The Real JB
    Quote Originally Posted by Mess View Post
    fax over vonage will not work reliably because of the way vonage sends data
    Well, I know that, and YOU know that, but those darn customers are going to try it anyway. With typical luck, it will work the first time, then they expect it to work every other time and of course gripe when it does not...

Copier Gawd 50+ Posts

vonbiatch

how true how true
    I am lucky enuf to be in a postion to say flat out to my customers "we will not support that" heh