Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Counsel's Avatar

MPC6501 repeated sc445 issues.

Hey all,

Looking for some suggestions, I have two mpc6501's both in the last few months have been having sc445. Initially though toner scattering was causing the issue because it seemed like after cleaning the machine and cleaning the ITB the problem would go away, 1 machine has only done it twice in two months, but the machine I am having problems with started doing it a few weeks and now its about every other day. I think when we cleaned the ITB what actually made it go away was removing and reinstalling the ITB unit it would go for a while and then come back. The machien I am having the constant problem on only has 165k pages total on it so i wouldnt think it would be the itb motor or board but i guess its plausable. I am wondering if anyone else has had problems with itb on these machines these are the only two i have right now they replaced the mpc2062 models that these customers had before, so they are similiar but minor differences and they seem like junk to me nothing but problems since they were installed.

Hoping one of you guys can help.
    thanks

trottinbob

Re: MPC6501 repeated sc445 issues.

In general a sc445 is an ITB motor error. Look for something binding the belt ( lack of setting powder, encoder strip on back side of belt slightly ripped or damaged, belt slightly out of position and not being read by the encoder sensor, look at ITB cleaning unit blades and are the springs there? If all seems good at the ITB look below at the PTR and make sure the binding is not down there (I've seen a small staple get to the blade of the PTR and cause binding)

Technician

im getting sc 400, 401,402, 403, 405 intermittently. Have pulled out transfer unit and cleaned up as initially thought toner dropping down from pcdus were the cause but came back 2 weeks later. Drums were rebuilt only because they failed early and mach has not done much. Am planning to replace id sensor in transfer unit and also to replace drum and devs for all colours as well. These machines are crap. Built nothing like a ricoh. Any salesman should be sacked for selling these.

I have the belt off 3 or 4 times to clean it and to make sure the encoder strip was ok, cleaned the id sensors and music sensor, made sure the blades brush were ok. However I didn't even think to take out the ptr and check it, the machine is so new i didn't suspect something like that. I would think a staple or something would damage the ptr enough to notice quality issues but of course it never codes when im there its always a day or 3 later which is what has me stumped because I would clean the itb and run 3500 pages through it before i left without a problem, then a few days after i leave it happens within 2k-3k pages. Thanks for the suggestion ill do a little digging tomorrow see what i come up with.

Ricoh Technician 50+ Posts

I'm having the same problem 2 new machines. If I find something i will post .....

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

Any salesman should be sacked for selling these.
    As he said

I didn't have this particular SC so far but I recall that the service manual includes quite a description about what to consider if one needs to remove/pm the transfer unit.

Look for something binding the belt ( lack of setting powder
    sounds like a good hint

ok so let me run this by you guys. When I have putting the belt back on I assumed this was like the old model and I used the yellow toner to coat the belt, I have never carried the setting powder because we also just used the yellow toner on the old model instead. Like any man I of course skipped the directions on this but now that I have read them I see it specifically says NOT to use the yellow toner on this machine to coat the belt. Which the reason given is because of dev in the toner, but I thought the old model had dev in the toner to.

So do you guys think this is as serious as the manual says and could be the cause. The quality is fine so I don't think it damaged the belt any but I am wondering if the blade and the yellow toner is now catching the belt instead of lubricating.

What do you guys think, probable or likely something else.

trottinbob

I have not used the yellow toner as setting powder since the B132 model (3260/5560). You cited the reason , small % of dev in the mix.
    I still use my same setting powder that I use on the drums from the B132 model days. Sorry I don't have the part number right now.

I really believe your problem is binding. Take a Real good look at the Cleaning Unit blades. They both have spring action and I have seen new Cleaning Units that upon CLOSE INSPECTION the lower cleaning blade's spring action was being restricted from full movement. Take it apart with the two screws that hold both the white and black brush rollers, get all the way down to the lube bar and carefully put back together and make sure both blades have good action. Powder the hell out of the blades, and when you put the transfer unit back onto the cleaning unit it should slide on NICELY. Now apply powder on the belt itself and rotate in, some more powder and rotate some more. It should FEEL nice and smooth, not tight at all.

I'm go inspect this one today, ya i dont even have setting powder this 6501 replaced the 3260 they had, in fact up until about 2 months ago all i had in this area was the 3260 models so the shop never ordered any setting powder. I don't know that I want to replace this belt until i get some if they yellow toner is causing the issue or damage the encoder strip. i think its b1329700 is the powder which i think it was the same powder as the 3260 was supposed to use.

I know i have taken the belt on and off several times it doesnt seem to bind when i turn it but it could be, I am also gonna check the ptr as suggested, and maybe replace the belt anyway when i get some proper powder. I ll let you know how it goes.

thanks for the insight

Im having the exact same issue as we speak. Still have not found the fault.