Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    How, the SP C242DN?

How, the SP C242DN?

We are getting ready to put a bunch of color laser printers into the field, and the SPC 242DN printer has the highest consideration at the moment. Do any of you have a lot of problems with this printer? I don't want to deal with this model if it's a piece of crap.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

Re: How, the SP C242DN?

I only installed one of these and got it returned a few days later because the customer wasn't happy with the performance - it's poabably not the machine to blame if it was below the expectations one might get satisfied with more pricey printers. I think the print quality is somewhat average - probably not recommendable for photo prints (I know that there's officially no ricoh MFC targeting professional colours but mid-range MPC can do quite a good job). I noticed slight streaking across running direction in even half tones during testing in the job so again I'd say it's not really something to recommend if the customer expects the quality en par with a mid range MPC.

Unfortunately I can't report any long-term experience, like how the printout quality looks like if the units (I think it uses AIO cartridges) has been done 75% of the lifetime - usually the printouts doesn't look better compared to a freshly installed machine^^

It's not easy being green 1,000+ Posts Cipher's Avatar

Some have a annoying clicking noise!
    Sounds like the fuser / pressure roller has a flat spot.

On closer inspection the noise actually comes from the gears that connect to the fuser motor on the LHS.
    • Knowledge not shared, is eventually knowledge that becomes lost... like tears in the rain.

Fully qualified technician for Ricoh - Canon - Sharp - HP - Brother

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Polarbear's Avatar

Here on our side of the world these models (and its predecessor [the Sp232sf]) did not sell well because of the high cost of the imaging units - ZAR1500 EACH and there are 4!

I am still not convinced that the engine is Ricoh - looks far to much like Samsung (I believe there is some cross brand info sharing happening between the two).

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    How, the SP C242DN?

That one doesn't sound so good. The other 2 printers being considered are the SP C320DN and the SP C430DN. Any thoughts on these? The company is dead set on buying Ricoh printers.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

sickly machine, without counting the cost of the fuser (700 euros); much more powerful 430 dn though more expensive, greetings

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

The SPC430's are quite a hardy machine. They weigh a bloody ton tho, either put them on a cabinet or a very well supported desk.
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TonerMunkeh View Post
    The SPC430's are quite a hardy machine. They weigh a bloody ton tho, either put them on a cabinet or a very well supported desk.
    Oh oh - now I realize that I was accidently talking about a different machine (SPC320) in my previous post That one isn't relly heavyweight so I was curious and looked it up.

I think we have a few SPC430 out there - no serious issues so far but most customers used to have the SPC411 or SPC420 before and the machines are quite related engine-wise. The only call I had to made on these was a humming controller fan.

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    How, the SP C242DN?

That looks like the one. Thanks for the replies.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING