Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    Ricoh 2238c no toner message!

Hi allOur client just replaced the magenta toner in their Ricoh 2238c but after the message 'loading toner' they end up with 'no toner, replace toner cartridge, magenta'.I've seen this on the 3245c series where the pump goes on the black toner.This 2238c however also has a waste toner bottle full of magenta toner!!I suspect the pump is working and maybe the develope assembly is the culprit....I look forward to any help!!

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Re: Ricoh 2238c no toner message!

A couple of things to check:

1. Make sure the gears on the back of the magenta dev unit turn. If they don't replace the unit.
    2. If the machine really hasn't run a lot of colour, make sure that it's not an old style developer unit. The original design had a tendency to drift forward and give all kinds of strange issues like missing colours, etc. It's unlikely as something would have shown up by now.
    3. PCU: try swapping a few around and see if you get any difference in the flavour of toner poop.

Overall, it looks like there's a magenta dev unit in your future.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts daveyball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jonbonse View Post
    Hi allOur client just replaced the magenta toner in their Ricoh 2238c but after the message 'loading toner' they end up with 'no toner, replace toner cartridge, magenta'.I've seen this on the 3245c series where the pump goes on the black toner.This 2238c however also has a waste toner bottle full of magenta toner!!I suspect the pump is working and maybe the develope assembly is the culprit....I look forward to any help!!

Magenta Dev Clutch stuck, it will need replacing, if it is it;s worth changing all 4 as your'e in there, and it's a bit fiddly

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Exclamation Re: Ricoh 2238c no toner message!

This Parts & Service Manual can now be purchased for $12.77 and downloaded immediately after payment from

Just Manuals ~ The Internet's largest selection of manuals ~ Instant Downloads

Paul@justmanuals.com

I had this same call but for black a few weeks ago.
    Replaced black pcu and dev but stoopidly relied on the Ricoh "new unit detect" settings that come in the box.
    Bad mistake.....within 2 days the "add toner" fault had returned.
    Went back to the machine and actually initialized the black dev itself and the fault has not returned.
    Lesson to be learned?
    Try not to trust when Ricoh states that the machine is sooooo clever that it can detect and initialize on it's own.
    So in short...fit the new dev...initialize in the SP3XXX Process settings and see how you go.
    There are also toner refresh settings that need to be performed at the same time.
    If the dev has overtoned and dumped then it's due anyways.

ddickens

I've had this problem a few times and found that the toner clutches either stick on or off. If you change one, do what has been posted earlier-replace them all as a set. You'll be glad you did!

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oze View Post
    I had this same call but for black a few weeks ago.
    Replaced black pcu and dev but stoopidly relied on the Ricoh "new unit detect" settings that come in the box.
    Bad mistake.....within 2 days the "add toner" fault had returned.
    Went back to the machine and actually initialized the black dev itself and the fault has not returned.
    Lesson to be learned?
    Try not to trust when Ricoh states that the machine is sooooo clever that it can detect and initialize on it's own.
    So in short...fit the new dev...initialize in the SP3XXX Process settings and see how you go.
    There are also toner refresh settings that need to be performed at the same time.
    If the dev has overtoned and dumped then it's due anyways.
    This model does not have an auto detect. You have to use the PM reset SP (5-999-xxx) to reset and initialise the component you're replacing. Before replacing, run the SP for the component(s), turn the machine off, install, restart, and machine will initialise the new component(s).

Silverwind

I acquired a free Ricoh 2238c. Don't care about color parts. Won't ever use it.

It worked for a few weeks and then "no toner" message. Bottle still appears half full. Bought a new one anyways. Replaced the old one and still the same message.

I'm stupid enough to fix it myself. It is some 12 years old or more. What are some things I should do?
    Where can I find a service manual for free?

If you suggest anything, could you provide pics to go with it?

Thanks in Advance

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Silverwind View Post
    I acquired a free Ricoh 2238c. Don't care about color parts. Won't ever use it.

It worked for a few weeks and then "no toner" message. Bottle still appears half full. Bought a new one anyways. Replaced the old one and still the same message.

I'm stupid enough to fix it myself. It is some 12 years old or more. What are some things I should do?
    Where can I find a service manual for free?

If you suggest anything, could you provide pics to go with it?

Thanks in Advance
    If you don't need colour, then cut your losses, and pick up a B&W machine.
    There's lots of sources for free manuals if you look around, but I'd suggest that if you're not even willing to spend up to $10 for the easier to find versions, then cut your losses.
    There's no cheapy/easy fix for this issue, unless you got another parts machine with this one

Silverwind

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    If you don't need colour, then cut your losses, and pick up a B&W machine.
    There's lots of sources for free manuals if you look around, but I'd suggest that if you're not even willing to spend up to $10 for the easier to find versions, then cut your losses.
    There's no cheapy/easy fix for this issue, unless you got another parts machine with this one
    It's not that I'm not willing to spend the money, I already spent it on toner, so another $10 is not the issue.

When you say, no cheapy/easy, care to elaborate?

This was a free copier. Don't mind spending/workinga little to keep it going.