Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Miescha

Ricoh 2075 HDD Replacement SC863-01 and 865-06

Sudden onset of extended "Please Wait" messages at power on, followed by 863-01 service code.

Removed HDD and problem fixed (870 address book error, but understandable given no HDD).

Replaced HDD and formatted from SP MODE (SP COPY) 5832-001 - operation FAILED.

N0 problem, drive dead (and I have backup file AND export of add book :-)

New drive installed (80g Seagate Barracude 7200rpm - new from MicroCenter 2 block down the street)

At startup, I get another extended "Please Wait" and then 865-01 error code - but I figure just need to format so again to SP MODE and 5832-001 - this time with Success.

I exit out of SP Mode, power down unit, count to ten, go to the bathroom, check my email, yada, yada, and power back on . . . 865-01 error.

Ugh.

It's been a while, but I've done this HDD swap before with no problems (though I did have a 40 gig drive but using a larger drive has never caused a problem for me before).

I've poured over the service manual and I don't see anything I'm missing.

I guess the brand-spanking-new seagate barracuda HDD could be bad, but that is pretty unlikely (but microcenter is only two blocks away so . . . . )

Can anyone enlighten me?

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Re: Ricoh 2075 HDD Replacement SC863-01 and 865-06

We had some problems in the past with older models (10Gb hdd). The machine expects a smaller hdd, when you use 'format' it finds more writing space. That created a conflict, we replace the hdd and tried the machine. If it worked we didn't use any of the media controls.

Good luck.

FORMER Techie 1,000+ Posts tcs04's Avatar

Make sure the new drive is set to "Master" using the jumpers as per the label on the drive. If set to "slave" (Default) the machine won't see the new drive. Then format the drive on the machine.

Miescha

Thanks for the responses (over a weekend no less :-)

I can't speak for other machines, but I know the 2075 series will work with larger drives - only b/c I've replaced drives on several of the 2075 machines here (I think even this EXACT machine).

Good call on the master/slave jumper setting - I had it on master and even tried 'cable select' just to be sure my memory wasn't foggy (no go at all on cable select - didn't see the drive).

I swapped in another identical 80g Seagate Barracude 7200rpm HDD, format and voila - everything working fine. Restored the address book from smart monitor for admin and the only loss is the document server, but we have those on other 2075 machines if needed (I doub't anyone feels like printing and scanning them back in here).

My only guess is the first (replacement) drive was bad - who knows.

When checking the log, I did notice a warning that the used toner bottle was near full - and boy was it! Too bad I can't reuse that stuff.

All is well, and time to schedule a full PM service

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts
    Ricoh 2075 HDD Replacement  SC863-01 and 865-06

Good call on the drives...FYI I've used 120GB drives on this model with no problem
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

FORMER Techie 1,000+ Posts tcs04's Avatar

Thanks for the update Miescha,

It's good to get feedback on our theories, gets a bit tiresome when you take the time to try and help but get no update or thanks from the orignal poster. It should be remembered by all those requesting help that those replying are doing so in their own time for no reward and that the resulting fix can help everyone......

Again, To all posters, PLEASE update and give thanks where due!