Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Ricih Aficio 2045 locked on add toner screen

Have a Ricoh Aficio 2045 that is locked on toner add screen, can't clear it. Very hard to tell if the toner bottle ever turns. Able to
    get into service mode and run a forced toner add and sounds like its turning cause I hear a clicking noise, but not sure. Bottle seems to be
    graping and locking in place and no there is no cap stuck in holder from previous bottles. Is there a way around to force a copy to run
    and clear the toner add screen??? Looking for advise on how to see if toner bottle turns and if not what to check.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

Re: Ricih Aficio 2045 locked on add toner screen

I know that this can happen if you change the toner very fast or open the door for just a few seconds - in this case the machine doesn't believe that you've installed a new bottle and won't try loading toner. So take some time and keep the door open for ~1 minute (30 seconds should be enough but hey...).

Faulty doorswitches can also cause trouble like this. I think the toner supply mechanism isn't the cause IF (!!!) the machine 1.) doesn't try to recover and 2.) doesn't display something like "please wait - loading toner".

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Llama God's Avatar

Strip and vac out the hopper. Whilst you're in there, check that the little paddles in the hopper are still there.

Is the dev unit entrance full of toner?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gift View Post
    I know that this can happen if you change the toner very fast or open the door for just a few seconds - in this case the machine doesn't believe that you've installed a new bottle and won't try loading toner. So take some time and keep the door open for ~1 minute (30 seconds should be enough but hey...).

Faulty doorswitches can also cause trouble like this. I think the toner supply mechanism isn't the cause IF (!!!) the machine 1.) doesn't try to recover and 2.) doesn't display something like "please wait - loading toner".
    Of course it says "please wait - loading toner" when you open and close the front door. I guess I didn't clarify that, which all the more reason I think it
    is a faulty toner supply mechanism, but what.?

Quote Originally Posted by Llama God View Post
    check that the little paddles in the hopper are still there.
    I'd type it again if I could be bothered.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Strip and vac out the hopper. Whilst you're in there, check that the little paddles in the hopper are still there.

Is the dev unit entrance full of toner?

No there is no toner in the entrance of the developer unit, which makes me think it isn't adding toner when it cycles when you open and close the
    front door, even though it says "please wait loading toner".

paddles
    So, about these paddles...

Paddles.jpg

Now with pretty pictures.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Of course it says "please wait - loading toner" when you open and close the front door. I guess I didn't clarify that, which all the more reason I think it
    is a faulty toner supply mechanism, but what.?
    You say of course but I've seen this kind of issues various times

Then you should go with the hint provided by Llama God. If the mylars (located INSIDE the hoppper) are bad/non existent you'll get exactly the symptome you've described plus lot's of toner inside the hopper usually leading to spilling the hopper area at some point if the level is rising inside the hopper but no toner output thanks to faulty mylars. You might also check if the bottle turns - simply remove the front door, cheat the door switch, maybe remove the brown cover behind the front door - then you should see if the bottle is turning. You can also try testing via output check without the hopper/toner installed but that's not trustworthy enough since the motor might stuck only if it has to turn the bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Gift View Post
    LOL

You say of course but I've seen this kind of issues various times

Then you should go with the hint provided by Llama God. If the mylars (located INSIDE the hoppper) are bad/non existent you'll get exactly the symptome you've described plus lot's of toner inside the hopper usually leading to spilling the hopper area at some point if the level is rising inside the hopper but no toner output thanks to faulty mylars. You might also check if the bottle turns - simply remove the front door, cheat the door switch, maybe remove the brown cover behind the front door - then you should see if the bottle is turning. You can also try testing via output check without the hopper/toner installed but that's not trustworthy enough since the motor might stuck only if it has to turn the bottle.
    Given a torch and eyes you can see the bottle turning with the door cheated. Just. Put a mark on the bottle with a Sharpie to make it easier to see that it's turning. If you don't have a Sharpie, any old marker will do, of course.

Did I mention the paddles?