Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

scanning to smb folder on windows 7 professional from ricoh mp4500

I have a Ricoh aficio mp4500 that I am trying to get to scan to an smb folder through the web image monitor. I upgraded the firmware so it is compatible with windows 7 pro 32 bit. I created a folder in the C drive and have shared it.
    I can see the display name on the copier but when I scan the document it goes from 100% to 99% and it stays there.
    Are there any settings that I am missing or a path that I am not typing on the path at the web image monitor?
    My email is rosary87@gmail.com and I would appreciate any help.
    Thanks and God bless!

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Re: scanning to smb folder on windows 7 professional from ricoh mp4500

Please confirm that you've have done this before with success under an XP system for example? so you do know the basics at least?
    Then, make sure the folder fully shared to "everyone"? Simply selecting "share with...everyone" isn't enough. You generally need to go into the sharing properties under security and manually add "everyone", and allow ALL privileges. In other words, There must NOT be a 'lock' icon on the folder you are sharing, or it definitely won't work.
    Also make sure "password Protected sharing is "off" , in public folder sharing (so anyone with network access can access and change...) in 'Network and sharing center'
    If it still fails, disable any 3rd party firewalls and try. Many of them need to be configured to allow scans to pass through.
    Finally, if scanning still fails, there are a million other threads here, related to issues with Windows 7 that should help if you search

Technician

Thanks. I'll try what you said and then go from there.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Llama God's Avatar

Go to network and sharing centre (or center if you're an abomination) and turn OFF password prtected sharing and change the encryption level to 40 or 56-bit.

If that doesn't work, do a search on here for one of the 628 previous threads asking the same question.

No offence intended.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

First at all, make sure, that in the win7 system a password is set. Sharing will not work without password, there will be no warning message about it. Second, place your shared folder at drive "d", because writing on drive "c" needs admin rights.
    If sometimes you feel a little useless, offended and depressed always remember that you were once the fastest and most victorious sperm of hundreds of millions!

Quote Originally Posted by Herrmann View Post
    First at all, make sure, that in the win7 system a password is set. Sharing will not work without password, there will be no warning message about it. Second, place your shared folder at drive "d", because writing on drive "c" needs admin rights.
    1) It does work without a password.

2) Put the shared folder onto drive D if (i) you have one, (ii) it's a hard drive rather than a flash drive and (iii) it isn't a recovery partition for the PC, as is the case in a lot of PCs these days.

Sorry to disagree but there it is.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

1) It does work without a password.
    Thats new to me, would you mind to explain it to me? or did you edit the registry, like mentioned here: Q's Tech Spot: Windows 7 folder sharing with no password

For the drive c/d discussion: sorry for beeing unprecise, most of our customers have partition c for system and d for data, so i am used to it
    If sometimes you feel a little useless, offended and depressed always remember that you were once the fastest and most victorious sperm of hundreds of millions!

Thats new to me, would you mind to explain it to me? or did you edit the registry, like mentioned here: Q's Tech Spot: Windows 7 folder sharing with no password

For the drive c/d discussion: sorry for beeing unprecise, most of our customers have partition c for system and d for data, so i am used to it
    I didn't edit the registry, it just works for me. I'd be glad to tell you how it works, except I don't know as I didn't know that it shouldn't! I set this up at a customer's office on both a Vista and a Windows 7 PC the other day and both worked with just the username. In both cases Password Protected Sharing were turned OFF.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Sorry, I have to agree with Llama on this one. Password is not required to be setup, and scan folder should be placed wherever the client wants it. While I agree in many offices with a proper 'server', the D: drive is often for data, that's simply not the case in a most small offices where it's often just 2 or 3 folks with PC's or laptops, and therefore need the scan to be sent to each workstation independently, and they just want it to be simple, and work.

Well, to get back on track with the problem, the path should be something like this:

\\pc_name\foldername or
    \\ipaddress\foldername

Try typing this share name into either the run or search box in the start menu and see whether another PC can connect to the folder. If not, it's a problem with the path. If it can, try using the IP address rather than the PC name and/or make sure that you've put the DNS settings into the copier's interface settings.

Finally make sure that the firmware (NIB) is up-to-date and that you've changed the advanced settings in Network & Sharing Center as per my previous reply.

Or have you already got this fixed?