Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

SC541 on Ricoh Aficio 3228c

Hi all. Decided to join this forum since I am doing more and more copier repair these days. In my area there are a ton of Ricohs around so I've done a lot of work on many of them. However I have a puzzling one that I don't quite know what to think of.
    This Aficio 3228c is giving an SC541 error code. Looked it up and it said it was a thermistor problem in the fuser. Okay. Ordered the 2 thermistors. Replaced them yesterday. Error code is still there on startup. I've read MANY posts online about how to clear this code.....the main one being about hitting the clear modes key, then 107, then hold down the red button til SP mode comes up. Then shut the power off. This is supposed to clear the code. It didn't. I also found another post somewhere about actually going IN to one of the SP groups.....and look for page 5810. The 3228c has that. It says "Clear SC codes" and then has an "Execute" button. Again....thought I had it. Nope. Same problem.
    I also noticed that the fuser was not getting hot warm at all. If the heating element in the fuser has died, could that be the problem? Would this produce the SC541 error code? It would make sense that the copier thinks the thermistor is bad because it can't sense any heat. But then again, there won't be any heat if the fuser isn't heating up. I would certainly think if the fuser heater isn't working that should throw a different code, not a thermistor code....but then again I could be wrong. I also can't help but wonder if there is still just some simple procedure I don't know about to try to clear that code and maybe that's why it's still not working.
    What do you guys think??

Thanks
    Michael n wyo

grumpy old git 500+ Posts banginbishop's Avatar

Re: SC541 on Ricoh Aficio 3228c

whats sp 1106 saying? have you checked continuity on the lamps thermosat with a meter?

Technician

Actually no I didn't. I didn't have much time or my meter with me yesterday....this one's at a remote site 45 miles away....and my next stop was 60 miles beyond that. Anyways I couldn't imagine both lamps being bad...so it seemed it should be heating up somewhat from one or the other but then again that shows how much I know.
    I DID see the thermostat listed on the parts site...wasn't sure if that was something that might be bad or what. I am supposed to be back over there on Tuesday of next week so whatever you guys recommend I check, I will so we can get the right parts ordered and get it fixed.

What's in SP1106 ? What should I be looking for there?
    If the thermostat is bad would it still give an SC541 error or something else?
    Sorry...still learning on this beast

Michael n wyo

grumpy old git 500+ Posts banginbishop's Avatar

sp 1106 gives you temp display. e.g. if its reading 0 or going up and down quickly like whores drawes then the thermistors knackered. Always do the basics like lamps, thermistors etc. For the time it takes to check these, it could have saved you a repeat visit - always carry a meter. If your getting no heat to the fuser then its probably the psu but check the connector at the back of the fuser to make sure theres no bent pins, paper in there. Most people replace the whole fuser when there required. oh thermistats are in line breakers so if they "pop" they break the circuit (open circuit) - so yes that will also cause a lamp not to work.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

This code is also often caused simply by poor fuser connection due to paper dust or other foreign material built up on the contacts. That would also account for the 'zero warm-up' situation.
    Try blowing out both the machine contact and the fuser contacts, or using some alcohol on a cotton swab to clean them up. Remember that you'll always have to attempt to reset the code in SP mode after anything you try.

Technician

Yeah I was kicking myself that I didn't have my meter with me. I was letting the copier tell me what was wrong with it. I hadn't been over there...they had just told me the error code over the phone so I ordered the thermistors.
    I'd love to say we'll just replace the whole fuser unit....but I honestly don't know if these guys are going to want to spend $600 to $800 on a new fuser. This is a non-profit county agency that is CHEEEEEEEP. Believe me I can already hear them saying "oh well then we'll just go to wal-mart and buy a $100 hp copier/scanner/fax and they can use that." That's really why I'm hoping if I can FIX this fuser's problem it'd be a lot cheaper than replacing the whole thing. Especially if it's just a lamp or thermostat...things like that are cheap like the thermistors. The rollers and everything in it are fine. And yes there WAS a piece of paper stuck in there which raised an eyebrow about what caused all this in the first place. I checked the socket and pins quite well and there's no paper stuck anywhere there.
    Am I attempting to clear the code properly?

Technician

Thank you for your reply, Sandman. Yeah since there WAS INDEED a piece of paper stuck in there, you may be right. I checked, but I'll check again and give it a go with Q-tips and alcohol when I go back there on Tuesday. It sure seems like it's something simple.....like dirty contacts.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by michaeljwyo View Post
    Am I attempting to clear the code properly?
    Yes...after you clean or replace something, enter SP mode 5-810-1 as you indicated above ,and execute the SC reset. power off/on with main power (red button)

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Thumbs up Re: SC541 on Ricoh Aficio 3228c

This Parts & Service Manual can now be purchased for $12.77 and downloaded immediately after payment from

Just Manuals, The Internet's largest selection of manuals ~ Instant Downloads

Paul@justmanuals.com