Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Win 7 and XP communication

Re: Win 7 and XP communication

Quote Originally Posted by mikadonovan View Post
    OK, I have a MPC3000 that is scanning to a shared folder on a XP box, and it works great. The users with Win 7 pro cannot even see the shared folder on the XP box over the network. What am I missing?

I had, and still have, the exact problem at one of my clients, and before I found the solution, I just setup scan to email out of frustration.
    Afterwards, I found something that could be a solution to the problem, but I never tried it there, and never had the problem elsewhere.

This particular article relates to Windows Vista, but it should apply to 7 too

Have a look. Hope it helps.

Network Map in Windows Vista does not display computers that are running Windows XP

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Llama God's Avatar

Meh, the whole browsing to a folder from the Ricoh kit is flaky at best. I always do it with an SMB path which I know to be correct, a username and password which I know are both correct, and the changed settings in the advanced menu of the Network and Sharing Centre.

Over and above that, they only issues I've had with scanning to Windows 7 have been folder permissions, firewalls (but never Windows Firewall, usually Norton) and firmware.

It's almost time for Windows 8 now; we can go from a system that works 99.9% of the time to one that doesn't work at all. For anything.

I'm playing with Linux now, just for the challenge.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Llama God View Post
    Meh, the whole browsing to a folder from the Ricoh kit is flaky at best. I always do it with an SMB path which I know to be correct, a username and password which I know are both correct, and the changed settings in the advanced menu of the Network and Sharing Centre.

Over and above that, they only issues I've had with scanning to Windows 7 have been folder permissions, firewalls (but never Windows Firewall, usually Norton) and firmware.

It's almost time for Windows 8 now; we can go from a system that works 99.9% of the time to one that doesn't work at all. For anything.

I'm playing with Linux now, just for the challenge.
    What he's saying though, is that he can't browse to Win XP shared folder from a Win 7 PC (unless I misunderstood)
    P.S.
    I've also been messing with Linux lately, and I've found that everything's just plain easy to configure

Oh yes, you're right!

If I were you I'd run the network and sharing wizard thingy again on the Windows XP box, then check the sharing permissions on the folder.

Can you access the main share of the PC? eg \\COMPUTER NAME or preferably \\IP ADDRESS.

If so, can you see the folder that you're trying to access? eg Scans.

In the search bar type \\192.168.1.20 (or whatever.)

If this works, repeat the process using \\192.168.1.20\scans (or whatever.)

Also, under tools/folder options/view there's an option at the bottom for "Use Simple File Sharing." Try turning this on/off (I believe, from memory, that it should be turned on.)

Quote Originally Posted by sandmanmac View Post
    What he's saying though, is that he can't browse to Win XP shared folder from a Win 7 PC (unless I misunderstood)
    P.S.
    I've also been messing with Linux lately, and I've found that everything's just plain easy to configure
    Hmm, easy for some things, twatting hard for others. For example, why is it so hard to install Adobe Reader?

I'm using Fedora 17, if you;re interested. I am waiting for my wonderbrother to give me a proper crash course rather than his usual mumbling and lightning quick typing/mousework. Stupid programmers...

PHD in Sh!t Disturbing 250+ Posts Shadow's Avatar

from reading the original post I believe the problem to be win 7 seeing the win xp box.
    is the file and print sharing turned on in the network settings of the win xp box?
    is this win xp home or pro edition?
    enable the network in the start menu ( if home edition ) and check if you can see the win 7 boxes.
    win 7 can see win xp in a network and back again, as this is how I have it setup in many client's offices.
    I even have the win xp boxes visible and accessible with win 7 & 8 on my own home network.
    $hit Happens - Deal with it and move on.........................................................................Lock & Load

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Llama God View Post
    Oh yes, you're right!

If I were you I'd run the network and sharing wizard thingy again on the Windows XP box, then check the sharing permissions on the folder.

Can you access the main share of the PC? eg \\COMPUTER NAME or preferably \\IP ADDRESS.

If so, can you see the folder that you're trying to access? eg Scans.

In the search bar type \\192.168.1.20 (or whatever.)

If this works, repeat the process using \\192.168.1.20\scans (or whatever.)

Also, under tools/folder options/view there's an option at the bottom for "Use Simple File Sharing." Try turning this on/off (I believe, from memory, that it should be turned on.)
    Turning (Use Simple File Sharing) off will provide you with sharing and security tabs so that the full rights can be given to your user. One more thing that I have had some good results with, is to go into Advanced Sharing and turn down the encryption from 128 bit to 56 bit or whatever the lower choice is.
    Last edited by tomcatld127; 07-21-2012 at 05:12 AM. Reason: I needed to clarify my text

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts

Thanks for the responses. This has given me a few other things to try.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

i'd check this
    are they part of the same workgroup? experience tells me that if the computers are not, they will not be able to see each other. hence no sharing on the network. had this happen when a customer was trying to share a printer and the computers were part of different workgroups. also had it on a ricoh mp3550. one computer was part of a different workgroup and scan to folder did not work. click start-right click my computer--left click properties--workgroup is under computer name tab. i've seen the workgroup can be "WORKGROUP", "MSHOME", or anything an IT guy might decide to name it. to change workgroup, click the box that says "change" after "to change this computer name or join a domain". new box will pop up and workgroup will be at the bottom. you'll have to restart the computer. not sure if this helps but hope it does.