Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    SC 899 across the Ricoh range

We've had a sudden rush of SC899 problems across the range of recent model Ricoh colours as well as B & W. They seem to be print job related. it seems that something is occupying the CPU for long enough for it to stall and forget what it was suppose to be doing. Anybody got any ideas? Has there been a a windows or Adobe update that has upset things? Anybody else seen this or are we on our pat malone?
    At least 50% of IT is a solution looking for a problem.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Re: SC 899 across the Ricoh range

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    We've had a sudden rush of SC899 problems across the range of recent model Ricoh colours as well as B & W. They seem to be print job related. it seems that something is occupying the CPU for long enough for it to stall and forget what it was suppose to be doing. Anybody got any ideas? Has there been a a windows or Adobe update that has upset things? Anybody else seen this or are we on our pat malone?
    Most of these problem where addressed in the firmware update. There is a 2006 RTB that refers to the associated problems. (RB222006h.) :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::Outline:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::::::: Symptom corrected: 1. Unable to Scan to SMB to Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 destinations that have Windows Live ID Sign-in assistant installed. 2. Trying and failing to login to a Scan destination three times might result in the MFP stalling with an SC899 error. 3. Unable to Scan to SMB to Windows 98/98SE/Me/NT 4.0 destinations specified using an IP address. 4. The SMB retry function fails to retry the sending of failed SMB transfers (Scan to SMB or Fax delivery). 5. Unable to retrieve the Windows group name from a Windows 2008 R2 server during Windows Authentication. Because of this, logged in users will only be granted the "Available Functions" specified for them in the Address book. 6. The device is unable to assign group privileges to a logged in user if that group has a name consisting of more than 20 bytes. To address this issue, the supported group name length will be increased to 40 bytes. 7. The MFP’s Windows Authentication function is unable to use Kerberos when being authenticated on a Windows 2008 or Windows 2008 R2 server. The MFP will still be successfully authenticated because it is able to fail back to NTLMv2. 8. After changing the MFP's DNS server address or Domain name, Scan to SMB destinations specified using a hostname might not be found.
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

Yes, but why are we having a sudden spike? We've logged 8 cases in the last 5 days.

Senior Tech. 2,500+ Posts NeoMatrix's Avatar

Yes, but why are we having a sudden spike? We've logged 8 cases in the last 5 days.
    The only thing common to all those would be a power surge or may be the weather. I believe you guys may have had a cold snap down the southeast in the last couple of weeks ? Has there been any brown outs or power surges caused by solar flares ?
    Inauguration to the "AI cancel-culture" fraternity 1997...
    •••••• •••[§]• |N | € | o | M | Δ | t | π | ¡ | x | •[§]••• ••••••

FORMER Techie 1,000+ Posts tcs04's Avatar

New PCL firmware just issued on Ricoh UK TESSA siteSymptom corrected:1. PCL5 jobs containing an "ECS&l0C" command result in an SC899.Could be the problem??

Thanks Tcs, that could be what we're looking for.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Can you be more specific about the models youencounter the problem.I ve seen it twice last week and after checking it seems that for the -01(3001,4501) the problem is related to printer, pcl firmware.For the -02 models is fax firmware related.There are 120 firmware upgrades for that code in the database and imagine it was introduced only lets say 2 years ago.So i think we will see alot of it in the future.

Glorified Parts Swapper 100+ Posts ptrflrs's Avatar

I know this is an old thread but just wanted to throw this out there for future reference. I recently had an MP C2551 with a sc899 and looked here for help. After flashing new firmware on this model I still got the sc899. The problem was a print job stuck in the print queue. I unplugged from the network and it would come up to ready fine but as soon as I would connect it would try to print that job and code out immediately. The customer was trying to print text directions from a map on internet explorer so I canceled that job and plugged it back in and it started printing other jobs fine. The code would only come up from the browser and only on those map directions. It printed fine for word and PDFs and even other stuff from the browser so I'm not sure what's going on but I asked the customer to use a different mapping website for now.
    jesus loves you! (everyone else thinks you're an assh*le)
    street cred: CompTIA A+ & Network+ Certified; Konica Minolta Gold Seal x2,
    Konica Minolta Outward ASSociate, Ricoh, Sharp, Lexmark trained

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Your post was very helpful. I recently had a similar problem / customer attempting to print from a website. I had their IT team clear the server of all print jobs to the copier - problem solved. Once the queue was cleared the print function was restored. For whatever reason the format of the file they were attempting to print was causing the print controller to stall and fail, resulting in the 899 code.

Thank you again for the information / confirms my findings.

Service Manager 100+ Posts Moza's Avatar

SC 899 is more commonly caused either by a dodgy print job or by a network storage device, iomege and a few others are the worst culprits. The easiest way to check is IF the machine is a network device then switch off disconnect the network cable and switch back on. If the device functions normally after that delete any jobs from the print queue and try again. If it persists ask a IT person if they have any storage devices on the network and get them to disconnect them before tasting again