Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    tcapewell

Faxing to Lanier 5645 crashes PC

Hope someone can shed some light?

We have a Lanier 5645 MFP and when you attempt to send a document for fax via the the print menu it crashes your PC and forces a reboot with no error message.

On the Lanier log it reports an error in communication.

This doesn't seem to happen to smaller documents - <100kb or so, which fax ok, but I can't pin it down to an exact size issue or document format.

Anyone have any ideas or further advice for investigation?

Many thanks

tcapewell

It's not easy being green 1,000+ Posts Cipher's Avatar
    Are you running the latest LAN fax driver?

v1.50 Has the following changes:
    Supported: Microsoft Windows Vista 32bit

v1.37 has the following changes
    Fixed: If Microsoft Security patch MS04-011 is applied, errors occur while transmitting data to the printer.
    MS04-011: Security Update for Microsoft Windows
    Fixed: Malformed data was sent to the machine when "pcAnywhere" was running on the computer.
    The surface palette made by the driver has been reversed.
    ROP code of DrvBitBlt has been memorized.
    Wording has been corrected for the Cover Sheet Editor
    Temporary file is created when broadcasting transmission.
    The width of drop down list for the Address Book file name display box has been made adjustable.
    • Knowledge not shared, is eventually knowledge that becomes lost... like tears in the rain.

Fully qualified technician for Ricoh - Canon - Sharp - HP - Brother

IT Technician 100+ Posts fausto1981's Avatar
    Yeah just update the LanFax driver.
    I had the same problem but that was like a year ago bro:

my dealer was selling Gestetner back then.

this was released by them check it out

https://gestetner.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/gestetner.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=63072

tcapewell
    Excellent, thanks guys!!!

Removing the security update solves the problem.

But as we have Windows updates checked and pushed out automatically, I'm having to go down the driver update route.

However, when I do this, the driver appears as LanFax M1 (as it was previously) should this be the case? Is there anyway of getting more detailed driver information to check that it's the v1.50?

Service Manager 250+ Posts unisys12's Avatar
    If you download the driver from the OEM site, it is the latest and greatest. They do not post older drivers. General rule of thumb, for me, is to never use the CD's whenever possible.

Ricoh could save themselves quite a lot of cash over the course of a year if they would just stop shipping them with the machines. I did an install on a Savin 4540 a month or so ago and had to use the CD since the customer was starting a new office and had not had their DSL installed yet. Anywho... I figured the Lan Fax driver on the CD was good, since this problem almost a year old, and found out it wasn't. I had to return, download the new driver and uninstall/reinstall on 5 PC's.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by unisys12 View Post
    If you download the driver from the OEM site, it is the latest and greatest. They do not post older drivers. General rule of thumb, for me, is to never use the CD's whenever possible.

Ricoh could save themselves quite a lot of cash over the course of a year if they would just stop shipping them with the machines. I did an install on a Savin 4540 a month or so ago and had to use the CD since the customer was starting a new office and had not had their DSL installed yet. Anywho... I figured the Lan Fax driver on the CD was good, since this problem almost a year old, and found out it wasn't. I had to return, download the new driver and uninstall/reinstall on 5 PC's.

It's the same with anything these days. Graphics cards being the main culprit. I've never used CDs from Graphics cards, I throw them away, and if I sell them on I provide the latest driver on CD.

tcapewell
    All working now having successfully updated the driver.

Many thanks to everyone who posted and helped with this!!

IT Technician 100+ Posts fausto1981's Avatar
    You are Welcome tcapewell.
    Check the Attachement. it will show you the steps on checking the version of the driver you have now.

!!!I have a different Driver it is not the same one mine is V.1.46

tcapewell
    So I thought I had updated the driver, but following the instructions above to get the actual driver details (see attachment) it's showing as v1.46 still and not the v1.50 which I had downloaded and run.

All I do know is that the fax seems to be working at the moment (fingers crossed)
    Attached Images Attached Images