Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MPC 3500 SC580

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    MPC 3500 SC580

MPC 3500 SC580

Hi, All. I have a problematic B222 that blows IH coils on a regular basis. They may last 6 months, or 6 weeks, but they all blow. This will be the 4th one I've replaced in 2 years.
    The front fuser area fan has been replaced, blades not spinning on shaft
    The inverter board cooling fan works fine
    Machine has a different fuser
    Machine has a different IH coil board

Has anyone run into this problem of constant IH coil failure? I would really like to get this issue resolved. It's a pain to change, and the customer is less than impressed with the machine.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Ricoh tech 100+ Posts
    MPC 3500 SC580

Re: MPC 3500 SC580

Quote Originally Posted by mikadonovan View Post
    Hi, All. I have a problematic B222 that blows IH coils on a regular basis. They may last 6 months, or 6 weeks, but they all blow. This will be the 4th one I've replaced in 2 years.
    The front fuser area fan has been replaced, blades not spinning on shaft
    The inverter board cooling fan works fine
    Machine has a different fuser
    Machine has a different IH coil board

Has anyone run into this problem of constant IH coil failure? I would really like to get this issue resolved. It's a pain to change, and the customer is less than impressed with the machine.
    which front fuser fan did you replace? the large one which gets dusted up or the sirrocco fan which is enclosed and ends up with solidified toner inside it. If the sirrocco fan is not working fully then you will get IH coils blowing as there is not enough cooling. I realise this may be the fan you have changed but it is the main reason for blown IH coils and all i can think of at the moment sorry.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

ricoh have a RTB out for this, it involves replacing IH, IH inverter pcb, fitting a gaurd over the drum phase control sensor and the 8A fuse on the primary.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts kannuki2's Avatar

[Problem]
    SC 580 IH Inverter Zero Cross Frequency Error displays at power on.

[Cause]
    IH COIL UNIT

• The IH coil unit has two connectors, Check CN983 a 4 pin connector for continuity across pins 1 to 4, this will confirm the condition of the two thermostats, TS3 and TS4.
    • Check across T1 to T2 for continuity. This will check if the IH coil has an open circuit or not.

[Action]

• If either of these two test show an open circuit replace the IH coil unit.

[Cause]
    IH INVERTER BOARD

• Check if the fuse has blown. Replace and try after first checking the above checks for the IH Coil Unit. A blown fuse may indicate a wire shorted or an internal short of the Inverter coil unit.
    • On the IH inverter board check the input voltage from the PSU. CN 981 provides the AC input.
    • On the IH inverter board check CN984 pin 1 for +12vdc input voltage from PSU.

[Action]

• If either of these input tests fail check or replace the PSU.
    • If the input checks are OK and the IH Coil Unit checks are OK then replace the IH Inverter Board.

Service Manager 250+ Posts turbojetboy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by collme View Post
    which front fuser fan did you replace? the large one which gets dusted up or the sirrocco fan which is enclosed and ends up with solidified toner inside it. If the sirrocco fan is not working fully then you will get IH coils blowing as there is not enough cooling. I realise this may be the fan you have changed but it is the main reason for blown IH coils and all i can think of at the moment sorry.

I agree with this, seen it before. Multiple blown IH units - all caused by this little fan which the little "bird cage" fan had broken, but the motor ran fine - hence no fan errors. remove the front plastic cover around the door interlock area and have a good close look at this fan - not the easly to get at one behind the little upper cover next to the paper exit unit.

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    MPC 3500 SC580

I haven't seen the machine since the initial call. We are pulling it today. I'll let you guys know what I find. BTW, why is there a link to a retail site on the word "cooling fan" in my initial post? I sure as hell didn't put it there.
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Senior Tech 2,500+ Posts
    MPC 3500 SC580

Quote Originally Posted by kyoceran View Post
    ricoh have a RTB out for this, it involves replacing IH, IH inverter pcb, fitting a gaurd over the drum phase control sensor and the 8A fuse on the primary.
    I just looked through the tech bulletins. Again. I don't see anything having to do with an IH coil. What number is it?
    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

I haven't seen the machine since the initial call. We are pulling it today. I'll let you guys know what I find. BTW, why is there a link to a retail site on the word "cooling fan" in my initial post? I sure as hell didn't put it there.
    I'm pretty sure I've seen a Lanier version of that tech bulletin. As I've never seen that problem before I'm not sure if it translates correctly though, but I'll look it up tomorrow and let you know what I find then.
    As for the link to the retail site, I just checked, and I can't find it. But I'm still kind of a noob here, and therefore I might not be the sharpest stick on the pile.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts rthonpm's Avatar

Sounds like you've got a plug-in or other unwanted software that's plugging in links to terms in your browser. Check your Add/Remove Programs list and also try using MalwareBytes Anti-Malware or some other such programme to remove the offending software. Depending on your browser, you may also want to install something like AdBlock to keep such things from showing up in the first place.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

I wasn't able to find the tech bulletin. I have failed, sorry about that. Maybe kyoceran will come back and let us know which one it is.
    I know I've seen a tech bulletin like that somewhere, though. It just isn't part of any of the Lanier color technical manuals I have starting with the LD435c (which is the Lanier equivalent to the MPC3500) back through the LD238c.