Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Field Supervisor 500+ Posts tcypy1961's Avatar

Copier asking for toner and not needing it

After running SP2801 on this Ricoh 3035 I am working on, I noticed that the number setting is lower than what I am accustomed to seeing on this particular machine. This problem occurs whether I am using old or new developer. If I put the numbers back to its initial settings and watch the toner cartridge, it turns a couple times. However, when I start to makes copies they gradually go lighter and lighter but no add toner message is shown on the display and no SP error code comes up. Is this a TD sensor problem? Also the machine has been cleaned thoroughly and has new developer. Thank you for any help provided.

Hair Straightener Tech 500+ Posts rsyarcia's Avatar

Re: Copier asking for toner and not needing it

Try force toner then if still light copy you have to check the mylars on the toner hopper.
    Nobody is perfect..

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Check SP2-209 is set to 60 (normal)
    (higher # = less toner)

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts Eric1968's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tcypy1961 View Post
    After running SP2801 on this Ricoh 3035 I am working on, I noticed that the number setting is lower than what I am accustomed to seeing on this particular machine. This problem occurs whether I am using old or new developer. If I put the numbers back to its initial settings and watch the toner cartridge, it turns a couple times. However, when I start to makes copies they gradually go lighter and lighter but no add toner message is shown on the display and no SP error code comes up. Is this a TD sensor problem? Also the machine has been cleaned thoroughly and has new developer. Thank you for any help provided.
    You should only run SP2-801 when you replaced the developer. Could be a TD-sensor problem or a mechanical problem in the DV-Unit.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

rsyarcia has a point, the 35/45 cpm machines occasionally have problems with the mylars falling off in the toner bottle holder unit, causing prints to become light without any add toner message or activity by the machine, even if the developer. drum and charge roller are replaced.
    If I find the mylars have fallen off, and I can fish at least two or three of the mylars out of the toner in the toner bottle holder, I re-install them with screws. I just line the mylars up as if they were correctly installed, bore a small hole completely through the mylar and the plastic surface it was mounted on with a jeweler's screwdriver, then fix them in place with the extra screws left over from replacing the PCUs in a LD435/LD445 (MP C3500/MP C4500). I've never had that problem reoccur after doing that.

OR just replace the toner supply unit....fairly cheap

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Counsel's Avatar

besides the hopper issues. one other issue i had rarely on these machines is the developer unit, if you take out the dev unit on the front of it there is a black cover that covers 3 gears that drive the developer paddle, i have had this cover fill with toner before making it hard for the gears to turn so toner is not churning through the dev unit very well. i would double check the gears and clean them, also clean the mag roller with a brass brush. i would also clean the id sensor in the machine.

beyond some methods i wont recommend thats all i can think of for now, i would definatly check the hopper out the mylar issue noted happens a lot, it could be that only a couple of them are broke so its getting some toner just not enough.

Technician 500+ Posts

More than likely tis the mylars in the hopper. Normally, I just replace the snap in part of the hopper. Takes up less room in carstock. I agree with all the posts on this subject. They are all valid fixes. Another fix, although rare, is SP2-201 (bias) should be 540V. I say this because some techs know that changing bias is a quick fix to get them out the door on Friday afternoon. Let us know what you find.

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts

Had that problem today on a MP4000 - turns out the problem was on the tonner hopper but on the small spring-loaded gate-thingy on the right of the tonner hopper. After fiddling with it, in the end I just removed it and the copies turned solid black again and so far no "add toner" message. I'm still not sure what that part is supposed to do, but in this case removing it solved it. I still have it in my pocket in case I need to put it back, though...

EDIT: I'm talking about the small plastic with mylar inside the red cover.

' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

if the solutions above doesn't work then try checking also the toner hopper motor.