Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Gestetner MP 6500 toner hopper overfill

Hi guys. Got an MP 6500 that lately seem to be dumping toner around the toner bottle, and inside on the laser glass strip. Realised eventually that the toner hopper was filling to the brim and literally bursting at the seams with toner which was the cause. Changed dev, drum, service kit. Fitted new Toner End sensor as I thought that controls the level of toner in the hopper. 100k later and its still the same, ramming toner into the hopper. The copy is normal, not overtoned, so dev concentration is normal'ish, but I noticed that it occasionally goes into "loading toner" mode out of the blue whilst copying. No sensor related SC's have been logged in the SMC printout. Anyone come across this, any ideas ? Thanks.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: Gestetner MP 6500 toner hopper overfill

Quote Originally Posted by andy227 View Post
    Hi guys. Got an MP 6500 that lately seem to be dumping toner around the toner bottle, and inside on the laser glass strip. Realised eventually that the toner hopper was filling to the brim and literally bursting at the seams with toner which was the cause. Changed dev, drum, service kit. Fitted new Toner End sensor as I thought that controls the level of toner in the hopper. 100k later and its still the same, ramming toner into the hopper. The copy is normal, not overtoned, so dev concentration is normal'ish, but I noticed that it occasionally goes into "loading toner" mode out of the blue whilst copying. No sensor related SC's have been logged in the SMC printout. Anyone come across this, any ideas ? Thanks.
    it seems your issue is with your hopper recycling unit have a look at it

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

thanks for reply Katash. I've had it off and closely examined it, but the toner recycling unit appears fully functional. Mylar flaps still there, rotating freely, cleaned out and unblocked.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Max's Avatar

Check your toner supply ratio, perhaps someone put it in to fixed supply mode and its simply dumping toner all the time. Borrow a whole dev assy from a different copier at least this way ull know if it is a dev unit or process control or possibly something else. When you change the dev and initialised it did you open the door before the copier was turned on? if not thats probably why. How old is the drum?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Herostrat's Avatar

Try checking out Toner bottle drive mechanism.
    Cheat front doors and run from SP mode 5804-(look up for toner motor,can't remember)
    Look if toner botlle is turning,and listen closely for crunching sound.
    Drive is driven by toner suply motor via worm gear,it wears out over time and starts slipping off.
    Theres allso a shuter hook betwen Toner bottle mechanism and toner supply mechanism,it's purpose is to shut pathway when Bottle mechanism is opened to replace toner...to prevent unnecesery leak...sometimes it get's disloged and doesn't open correctly blocking path to Toner supply.
    Gears,springs,clutches,sliders,connectors and electronics...who on earth can tell what's wrong with it?

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Gestetner MP 6500 toner hopper overfill

Lightbulb Re: Gestetner MP 6500 toner hopper overfill

This Parts & Service Manual can now be purchased for $12.77 and downloaded immediately after payment from:

Just Manuals, The Internet's largest selection of manuals ~ Instant Downloads

Paul@justmanuals.com

hi there,

do u work with original toner with orginal dev?

if u put "toner for use " in orginal dev unit ,u will find toner everywhere in copier.
    and if u put "toner for use " and after original toner in dev unit : developer will run out dev unit

but before Try checking out Toner bottle drive mechanism like herostrat said.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Max, I'm the only one working on that copier so no chance its in fixed supply mode, yes door open, all parts changed 100K ago

Herostrat, thanks, but entire bottle holder unit is new, as when I saw the persistent messing around that area I thought i was a leaky unit and replaced it. However if it was problematic as you mention it would result in less toner going in rather than oversupply.

Unitechro, yes, all original

manuals4u, thanks, have them all.

Thanks for all your suggestions, all appreciated. In further developents (excuse the pun) yesterday, I found the dev unit has been leaking developer from the back end bushing into the copier (only realised when I discovered dev on the feed unit below) so it appears its been losing dev and I have to replace the dev unit and the developer inside. As dev leaks are usually not a sudden thing, but gradual over a period of time, I'm hoping, fingers crossed, that it was most probably the cause of the initial problem. What do you think ?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Herostrat's Avatar

Ah no...if dev unit leaked on to pick up assembly u'll have troubles with it...developer enter iron bearings on gears and makes it harder for pick up engine to driwe it.
    Ocasinaly at first,unless u clean bearings or replace all gears,it will fail to pick up papper,later on it will be totaly unable to take papper.
    I never change entire dev unit bcs of bushing leak...open,clean,replace mixer bearings that leaked,and pour new developer,for next 400k it won't make troubles.
    Gears,springs,clutches,sliders,connectors and electronics...who on earth can tell what's wrong with it?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Herostat, yes I know about leaking developer onto the drive unit and the nightmares it surely causes with paper feed, and about having to replace all the one-way bearinged gears, but thats incidental at this moment. Regarding changing entire dev unit for leaking bushing, bear in mind, as in this case, that its not only the bushing that gets worn but usually the shaft of of the roller (in this case the paddle roller) that goes through it gets chewed to hell, and replacing the bushing only is a waste of the developer you've poured in, and the potential damage to the feed unit, and the general hassle of leaking dev all over again is not worth it. Also, the paddle roller is not given as a spare part on the parts list even if I was to want to change it with the bushings. Unfortunately, the only practical solution in these cases is to replace the entire unit. My only quiery now is whether the leaking developer would cause the hopper to overfill.