Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Service Manager 250+ Posts

Ricoh Aficio 2045 keeps asking for toner

This 2045 keeps asking for toner. I replaced the developer and initialized it and it ran for a little while but then the ad toner came back on there is a full toner in it . any ideas anyone?

It's not easy being green 1,000+ Posts Cipher's Avatar
    Here are a few things to try...

Check the toner is geniune Ricoh and is definely for the 2045 model.

Toner supply is controlled with readings from TD sensor on the dev unit and the I.D sensor above the drum by default.
    These are low cost parts and easy to change.
    (The TD sensor on this model have been known to fluctuate back and forth by a fair margin so is a good place to start).
    (I.D sensors don't fail that often, a good I.D sensor PWN reading should be around '100' mark).

You could also try stripping down and cleaning out the toner hopper.
    Check the four mylars are present and the grabber is opening wide enough to grab the toner bottle nozzle sucessfully.
    Check the toner hopper exit slider is opening fully when the PCU is inserted.

Update the firmware.
    There are changes for toner supply releated issues.
    • Knowledge not shared, is eventually knowledge that becomes lost... like tears in the rain.

Fully qualified technician for Ricoh - Canon - Sharp - HP - Brother

Expecting a call. 100+ Posts Paper_Jam's Avatar
    On the same subject here. I have had it happen twice where the customer leaves the prior toner bottle top in the hopper and installed the new bottle somehow managing to get it back in the machine. The end result was all the mylar paddles in the hopper were torn off.
    I guess it forces the hopper mech too far back and then it rotates tearing off the paddles.

Check the cable

You can check the cable.
    Sometimes cable loosed.

Good luck.

unTrusted Tech 250+ Posts imaginemoko's Avatar

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by DaZ View Post
    Here are a few things to try...

Check the toner is geniune Ricoh and is definely for the 2045 model.

Toner supply is controlled with readings from TD sensor on the dev unit and the I.D sensor above the drum by default.
    These are low cost parts and easy to change.
    (The TD sensor on this model have been known to fluctuate back and forth by a fair margin so is a good place to start).
    (I.D sensors don't fail that often, a good I.D sensor PWN reading should be around '100' mark).

You could also try stripping down and cleaning out the toner hopper.
    Check the four mylars are present and the grabber is opening wide enough to grab the toner bottle nozzle sucessfully.
    Check the toner hopper exit slider is opening fully when the PCU is inserted.

Update the firmware.
    There are changes for toner supply releated issues.

add on "try to check if the toner supply motor is working via output check.... check if the spring is still there to drop the toner to the development unit

It's not easy being green 1,000+ Posts Cipher's Avatar
    FYI

I had one of these 'add toner' faults today and it was the toner hopper all clogged up inside.
    The side bit where the toner drops down had hardened clumps of toner stuck around the side entrance mylar and the exit hole.
    • Knowledge not shared, is eventually knowledge that becomes lost... like tears in the rain.

Fully qualified technician for Ricoh - Canon - Sharp - HP - Brother

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Also check the seals around the Toner hopper/Dev unit, I'm not sure but if these are ripped/worn it could be shooting the Toner out into the machine rather than going into the Dev unit. But that's REALLY sucking straws.

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts
    Ricoh Aficio 2045 keeps asking for toner

I too am having this problem. Followed every advise on this thread except for the TD sensor replacement - the developer is recent and I'd really like to avoid changing the developer because of the TD sensor. Is there any way of replacing the TD sensor without the need of replacing the developer also?
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Denismed
    I would also check the the toner motor. I have seen these fail. Run simulation output check for toner motor. I would remove the toner supply unit and hold the motor when you run this sim. Sometimes the motor turns but does not have enough torgue to turn the toner supply unit. Easy replace motor comes out the front

Technician
    Change the toner motor