Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: When to update a Ricoh machine's firmware?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Only when the sun, earth and moon are aligned with the Cassiopeia constellation!

17 56.67%
  • Evertime I go to the bathroom I update all the machines along the way!

13 43.33%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Re: When (not) to update firmware?

RTTGen111104a.pdf
    I don't know if this will work, but if it does it might show why Ricoh firmware upgrades need to be taken with a bit of care for the time being.
    If it doesn't work, here's the cliff notes version as I understand it: thanks to the recent earthquake/tidal wave disaster in Japan, Ricoh had to find some new sources for the processors that control the machines. The firmware for those processors is very different than the standard firmware, and as such firmware upgrades should be avoided if the installed firmware version starts with an "A".

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    When (not) to update firmware?

I killed a new machine when the power was lost during a firmware update, still the manufacturer took it back as doa.
    A few white lies go a long way.

No more information available to protect the guilty.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts knightfall's Avatar

I would only update firmware if it would resolve the copier problem, I use to update them when they come out but often it would require a new hard drive.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

If it aint broke, don't fix it!!!!

Toner Monkey 250+ Posts
    Definitely if it ain't broke don't fix it. Had a recent example where I updated firmware on a machine (engine firmware corrected on error code issue) and was a "good boy" and installed all the latest available firmware, but then had to roll the scanner and NIB fw back when SMB scanning stopped working.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Unless firmware is documented to fix a particular problem, I don't touch it. Even if getting tech support involved (which I rarely do). If tech support asks if firmware is up to date the answer is always Yep!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Exok's Avatar

In my 20+ years of servicing Savin/Ricoh I've only felt the need to update software when the machine had a software corruption. In my experience, those problems were few and far between. I've had many machines go 10+ years on the original software without a need for an upgrade.

I update firmware on most of my calls. In the last 10 years, I have only ever killed 2 machines, one was due to a faulty controller board. There are some firmware fixes that can prevent a subsequent issue generating another call. I find upgrading everything , not just engine and system seems to help. The only time I leave well alone is when custom firmware has been installed. It is just down to personal opinion.

Geek Extraordinaire 2,500+ Posts KenB's Avatar

It's bad medicine to "pick and choose" which updates to do, regardless of brand.

A version of main controller will require a certain version of NIB, printer, etc...

Not keeping all parts of the machine at the same "level" can be one reason why so many techs shy away from it, thinking they will break something. The truth is, if you don't do it all, you just very well may.

I remember some years ago on Canon machines our configuration centers were flashing iR3570s and the like with main controller firmware, but little else. When the machines hit the customers' offices, the RUI (web page) would fail to open. After a few of these, it was easy to see the problem.

The way I see it, engineers (I know, I already hear snickers) get paid big bucks to write this stuff. I would think (or at least hope) there is reason for it.
    “I think you should treat good friends like a fine wine. That’s why I keep mine locked up in the basement.” - Tim Hawkins

What would our old proverb says:
    Feed the chickens and do not touch the buttons.
    Or, in translation, if and only if it is not you do make it to work.