Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: mpc 4000\500

mpc 4000\500

I have been seeing a lot of the mpc4000\5000 with void line going from edge to edge in the direction of travel. Sometimes you can clean the laser slit glass and they go away sometime when you look at the mag roll you can see the deletion in the developer. Sure it ran near or over the PM cycle but the mpc3500/4500 never had this problem. I can shake the developer unit and the line will move if you replace the developer and vacuum it out the line moves.

Does anyone know how to get the rocks out of the dev unit without breaking the seals or loosening doctor blade setting?

Thank you for your support
    Bill

Re: mpc 4000\500

I have seen it on the MPC 2800 - 3300 models as well. Replaced the developer but it came back...had to replace the whole development unit. Its only happened to us a couple of times but it seems to be on those particular models which I think is the same generation as the 5000. We have a boat load of MPC 2500/4500's in the field and I have never seen it happen on them. Seems like Ricoh may have tinkered with the developer/toner makeup in these models. Or maybe its a toner or developer storage environment side effect...never pin pointed it.
    -C

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    mpc 40000

This is caused by users not shaking the toner before they install it.
    Fold a piece of paper in half.
    Slide the cut edges gently between the mag roller and blade on one far side with the fold to the outside.
    Pull back and forth on the paper moving toward the other side while turning the mag roller.
    A hard chunk of toner will either break up, be pulled out by the paper and allow toner flow, or be pushed to the far side and be absorbed by the seals.
    Run blank pages of that color to stir out the paper dust.
    If the white line is still there replace the dv unit.
    Why do they call it common sense?

If it were common, wouldn't everyone have it?

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

If you have any standard thickness business cards, they work pretty well to move the clog out of the way, too.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    mpc 40000

I agree with all. Attached is a TB addressing this issue with the suggestion to rotate the mag roll 5-7 times in both directions. This might be a quick fix if you're in a hurry (not having to split the unit), but using the card/paper is more of a guarantee to fix the issue.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Service Manager 250+ Posts turbojetboy's Avatar

I see a lot of these and the deletions are very common place. And I have tried all the tricks, using card and picks etc to "move" the lumps. These tricks will most likely get you out the door - but like Arnie says "I will be back". Even replacement of the entire dev assy is no guarentee - I have had brand new ones worse than the one I was replacing. Its just one of those things, and I for one am thankfull - it keeps me in a job.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts coolbeer's Avatar

Is it me or does it seem the older Ricoh products get, the quality of the supplies allways goes down. Its as if they farm out the manufacture to 3rd party companies.?

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Max's Avatar

Very simple to fix. Increase the gap blade to 0.4 - 0.5 using feeler guages. Just sellotape the black gap blade cover back on as you have to cut the seal to get to gap blade. Been doing it for the past few years no problem at all.You will see the clumps on the mag roller going round after the adjustment. They will dissapear in 1 copy.Works a treat every time.