Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Impulse Drive Engineer 250+ Posts CableGuy's Avatar

Re: MPC2551 noisy fuser

I spent an hour greasing that sucker up today, I couldn't get it to stop making the noise. The bugger is, all the bulletins point towards thick paper. This customer only does 80gsm and not at high volumes. I had a good look at the unit today when I had it apart... and the only conclusion I can make is, what the hell were they expecting?! Someone in the design depart should do the honourable thing and commit Harakiri.... It really is a pile of stinking Poo... I think once everything loosens up in there, the foil has no purchase on it's roller. When did Teflon applied to a roller go out of fashion? If it ain't broke don't screw with it.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CableGuy View Post
    I spent an hour greasing that sucker up today, I couldn't get it to stop making the noise. The bugger is, all the bulletins point towards thick paper. This customer only does 80gsm and not at high volumes. I had a good look at the unit today when I had it apart... and the only conclusion I can make is, what the hell were they expecting?! Someone in the design depart should do the honourable thing and commit Harakiri.... It really is a pile of stinking Poo... I think once everything loosens up in there, the foil has no purchase on it's roller. When did Teflon applied to a roller go out of fashion? If it ain't broke don't screw with it.
    Hmm, this isn't good. Did the shells underneath show signs of scraping? (Usually scrapes the paint off). Also, what type of grease did you use? We use a silicon high temp grease (white grease). Don't forget to pull the gears off and lube the posts either. Those will make a racket as well.

I have not had the thick paper issue, but have had several noisy machines and doing the lube job on them has fixed them every time. Sorry if it didn't work for you this time around.

former propeller tester 250+ Posts

you could try shoving something (good ol paper wedge) under one corner to give it a bit of a twist. worked for me on a 4502 bogged in soft carpet

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Klydon View Post
    Here is a thread for the same thing on a 2051. http://www.copytechnet.com/forums/ri...ompletion.html

Basically, you need to lube the heating unit and also lube the shafts of the gears on the back of the fuser.

It is generally caused by the inside of the fusing film sleeve rubbing against the internal shell of the heat assembly.

The best way to fix is to get some high temp grease, take the unit out, take 1 end off and slide the sleeve almost all the way off. Grease the metal underneath (you should see where the paint is worn off by the scraping). Put it back together, then take the other end off, slide the sleeve to grease the area you missed the first time and then put it back together. (You don't want to take the sleeve off if you can avoid it as it can be difficult to get it back on).

I have done this several times and it works just fine. Also, make sure you don't get grease on the dual lamps.
    I have tried this today, Klydon, but i can not get the metal part above the lamps and the same time put it on the bushings... Any help will be appreciated, thanks!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Sorry, it has been awhile since I have been on here. Have you gotten this resolved?

Are you talking about having issues with getting the metal place inside the tube in the right spot to get the bushings back on? If it slips out, it can be difficult to get in the right spot again, not to mention that it is usually screaming hot.

I take the lamps out before removing either end to get them out of the way and avoid potential breakage of the lamps themselves.

I don't lube inside the metal casing, but rather on the surface of it where the fixing film rubs.

I also don't use a ton of grease simply because a lot of excess will come off when sliding the film back into position. I also go through and clean the outside orange sections of the pressure roller (usually with citrus cleaner) to make them have a better grip and I also clean off the outside of the fusing sleeve before putting it back in the fuser frame. If you are not careful, it can lead to jamming when you first put it back in the machine because the fixing film doesn't want to turn right away. You just have to keep working with it and it will eventually get going again and it will be fine.

Hope this helps and good luck!

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts
    MPC2551 noisy fuser

There should be an optional "oil roller " in the parts manual you can also try. Went down this road with the Ricoh folks, they knew about it and Ricoh japan isn't going to fix it...............They just put out a new model instead.............
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

worker drone 250+ Posts

The noise comes from inside the heat sleeve. I have to agree...that machine looked OK on paper but they should have never put in production. Poo it is!

Technician

Replacing the fusing sleeve is the only thing that's worked for me.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Polarbear's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by myxer1234 View Post
    Replacing the fusing sleeve is the only thing that's worked for me.
    Would be nice, but in Sunny South Africa the whole fuser is cheaper than the sleeve assembly! Cannot figure that out.
    Press the GREEN button!!

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    MPC2551 noisy fuser

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    Would be nice, but in Sunny South Africa the whole fuser is cheaper than the sleeve assembly! Cannot figure that out.
    Replacing the whole fusing unit is in effect replacing the sleeve assembly.