Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Impulse Drive Engineer 250+ Posts CableGuy's Avatar

MPC2551 noisy fuser

Hello All.
    I looked at a MPC2551 today that was making a noise which I've traced down to the fuser. It doesn't make the noise during copying, only when it runs down after the copy/print job is finished. In the output test, it only makes the noise at 60rpm but is quiet at 120 rpm. I've seen an RTB re noise from the fuser in thick paper mode, will go back and make necessary adjustments to see if that sorts my problem.
    Any advice from my most knowledgeable colleagues, or anyone had a similar experrience?
    Many thanks in advance
    Cheers
    Rich

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: MPC2551 noisy fuser

Here is a thread for the same thing on a 2051. http://www.copytechnet.com/forums/ri...ompletion.html

Basically, you need to lube the heating unit and also lube the shafts of the gears on the back of the fuser.

It is generally caused by the inside of the fusing film sleeve rubbing against the internal shell of the heat assembly.

The best way to fix is to get some high temp grease, take the unit out, take 1 end off and slide the sleeve almost all the way off. Grease the metal underneath (you should see where the paint is worn off by the scraping). Put it back together, then take the other end off, slide the sleeve to grease the area you missed the first time and then put it back together. (You don't want to take the sleeve off if you can avoid it as it can be difficult to get it back on).

I have done this several times and it works just fine. Also, make sure you don't get grease on the dual lamps.

Hi Klydon

Thanks for your speedy response. I will give it a go...
    Reading through the thread, I find a post from myself pointing someone at the RTB....
    I think my brain has finally turned to mush...
    I'll go do a couple more lines of toner, that'll see me right
    Cheers

There's an unofficial remedy to avoid this kind of fuser damage in the future (Ricoh UK).

First thing to do: change fuser idling settings as follows:

SP1-121-001 ([Switch:Rotation Start/Stop] Time:After Reload) [100] →[0]
    SP1-121-002 ([Switch:Rotation Start/Stop] Time:After Recovery) [10] →[0]
    SP1-121-003 ([Switch:Rotation Start/Stop] Time:After Job) [10] →[0]

Also it is adviced to reduce fusing temp for Thick2 and Thick3 paper setting by up to 25deg (SP 1-105-21 to 28). In my case 25deg lower than default was much too low, I was getting partially fused full-color images. Eventually 10deg below defaults looks ok.

Anyway, another "improvement" from Ricoh

Thumbs up Re: MPC2551 noisy fuser

Thanks Gasior78
    Just out of interest, did you have the fault in relation to printing thicker paper or was it in general i.e. normal 80gsm paper?

Cheers

Thick paper issue it was. Fuser done 50% of its life and started to make this "farting" noise.

Fuser temp on Thick2/Thick3 gets slightly higher then it should when idling, causing the heating sleeve assembly to deteriorate and vibrate - that's what I've been told by Ricoh Tech Support. Hence some suggested changes in SP mode.

Cheers

That's interesting, mine has done 29% and is doing it after a 80gsm job. Haven't tried it on thick yet, will do tomorrow. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CableGuy View Post
    it only makes the noise at 60rpm but is quiet at 120 rpm
    Sounds quite right. When printing on Thick3 the speed is 60rpm. Same at fuser idling I think. 120rpm with standard 80g paper. Not too sure about Thick2 though.

Cheers

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Polarbear's Avatar

Have these got the same crap fusers as the MPC2051 with that foil hotroller that besically seizes??
    Press the GREEN button!!

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Zeldaman's Avatar

Hi there!
    Yes polarbear, itīs the same f...ing crap foil-roller. Had 2 of this beasts last month. Because they have reached 2/3 of life, we changed the thing. If the machine standing in a calm place the noise is really horrible. From Ricoh in germany is the info to grease the outside of the rollers. 2 or 3 days later the noise was there again...
    Greetings...