Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: MPC2800/3300 display dead mc tries to start (SC202) - SOLVED!

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    Hi Nathan

I used a DMM and measured the surrounding resistors to get an idea of the values.

I then looked for a similar component on another defunct board, until I found one with similar values, desoldered it, and resoldered it on my board, and all was working fine!

Sorry I don't have any more info than that.

Many thanks Polarbear. With your suggestion and help from an electronics store we have solved the problem. Thank you again.

Technician

Hi

Awesome information
    Can you show photos of the affected resistors and also the values of the resistor if possible i have about 40 boards here that I can possibly repair for our testing purposes

Thanks

Shawn Crowther

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Polarbear's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shawncrowther View Post
    Hi

Awesome information
    Can you show photos of the affected resistors and also the values of the resistor if possible i have about 40 boards here that I can possibly repair for our testing purposes

Thanks

Shawn Crowther
    Sorry for the low res cellphone photo. Look for the black resistors between the large white power connector and the row of capacitors. They are black surface mount devices with a white "0" printed on them.

I am not sure about the value, but if you measure all of them with a DMM, you will find that the one (which is normally discoloured as well) will have a vastly different value than all the others around it.

That one you will have to desolder and replace with another good one. It is normally a good idea to change the polygon motor assembly as well as this causes the fault - and Ricoh has brought out a modified motor that is redesigned to prevent this failure in future.

Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Press the GREEN button!!

Technician

Thanks for this

In regards to the soldering process
    What wattage iron is best suited for this practice

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Polarbear's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shawncrowther View Post
    Thanks for this

In regards to the soldering process
    What wattage iron is best suited for this practice
    I use a 25watt as far as I can remember. There is very little solder on these resistors as they are fairly small and surface mount.

Patience and steady hands!
    Press the GREEN button!!

Senior Tech 100+ Posts Herostrat's Avatar

I had this on few MP5500,and it's never a polygon motor.
    It was problem with power supply usualy.
    Also defective power supply gives SC 672 sometimes...controler board can't comunicate with operation panel...it can't because it's not powered on propper.
    Gears,springs,clutches,sliders,connectors and electronics...who on earth can tell what's wrong with it?

Me and my big tongue...I got a call for sc 202 on MP5500,I'm supposed to go there tomorow.
    Now machine we did with this code was in our workshop and it had defective PSU power supply unit...black screen,sc 202...the whole shabang,after that another machine was fixed by my colegue who allso changed power board and solved it.
    Now after reading the SC202 posts in here and some service manuals it does make me wonder if customer has THAT exact problem...defective polygon motor and bicu board.
    I haven't seen machine yet but before I go there I'd inform myself more on this...it will be field work without safety and comfort of our workshop.
    I don't know what is actual BICU board...all i found in service manual is BCU (Base Engine Control Unit),are you guys refering to that board...the one behind the fusing unit,below the fan duct,to the right of the controller box,and abowe the PSU board?
    My guess is that is some ocasions Power Board culd operate in such way that it doesn't power up that BICU or BCU (now i'm confused about the name) so it doesn't power on the polygon motor.
    Gears,springs,clutches,sliders,connectors and electronics...who on earth can tell what's wrong with it?

Retired 10,000+ Posts
    MPC2800/3300 display dead mc tries to start (SC202) - SOLVED!

Quote Originally Posted by Herostrat View Post
    Me and my big tongue...I got a call for sc 202 on MP5500,I'm supposed to go there tomorow.
    Now machine we did with this code was in our workshop and it had defective PSU power supply unit...black screen,sc 202...the whole shabang,after that another machine was fixed by my colegue who allso changed power board and solved it.
    Now after reading the SC202 posts in here and some service manuals it does make me wonder if customer has THAT exact problem...defective polygon motor and bicu board.
    I haven't seen machine yet but before I go there I'd inform myself more on this...it will be field work without safety and comfort of our workshop.
    I don't know what is actual BICU board...all i found in service manual is BCU (Base Engine Control Unit),are you guys refering to that board...the one behind the fusing unit,below the fan duct,to the right of the controller box,and abowe the PSU board?
    My guess is that is some ocasions Power Board culd operate in such way that it doesn't power up that BICU or BCU (now i'm confused about the name) so it doesn't power on the polygon motor.
    Polygon motor on the MP5500 connects to the IPU board. Thats the board under the exposure glass.

Uf ye I forgot to ask about the IPU board...the one related with SC desription.
    SC202
    Polygon motor error 1: ON timeout
    The polygon mirror motor does not reach the targeted operating speed within the
    specified time after turning on or changing speed
    • Defective or disconnected harness to polygon motor driver board
    • Defective polygon motor driver board
    • Defective polygon motor.
    1. Replace the polygon motor.
    2. Replace the laser optics housing unit.
    3. Replace the harness.
    4. Replace the IPU.
    Thanks for the reply.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Resistor Spec Info::Re: MPC2800/3300 display dead mc tries to start (SC202) - SOLVED!

The resistor with the "0" on it is being used as a "fuse-able link", based on what wattage it allows/disallows, it will "pop" if it is over its limit.

I learned this info from a fellow in the aerospace industry that does board work.

Cheers.