Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Polarbear's Avatar

MPC2800/3300 display dead mc tries to start (SC202) - SOLVED!

I got an mpc3300 into the workshop yesterday, that when you switch it on, sounds like it wants to start, and then it stops. All the usual lights are on except for the display.

I did a Google search and found this: MPC 3300 Dead Display panel - Ricoh, Savin, Gestetner - www.oasq.com

I replaced the polygon, but the dead display remained and sure enough: shining a torch on the dead display showed the sc202

After a discussion with a tech from another branch we looked at the BICU (which the link says is shot also in some instances).

We found a tiny resistor (close to the lower right power connector [they all have a "o" printed on them in white] was burnt so that the "o" was not visible. Replaced the resistor and started the machine, and all is well.

From what I understand it also happens on the MPC2500 series, so keep this in mind.

Just thought I would share this as it is quite a weird one!
    Press the GREEN button!!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts Polo-022's Avatar

Re: MPC2800/3300 display dead mc tries to start (SC202) - SOLVED!

What about the polygon motor, was it faulty or not?

buttalasso

I had the same problem with two mpc2800, the problem were fixed changing the LCDC board.

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    I got an mpc3300 into the workshop yesterday, that when you switch it on, sounds like it wants to start, and then it stops. All the usual lights are on except for the display.

I did a Google search and found this: MPC 3300 Dead Display panel - Ricoh, Savin, Gestetner - www.oasq.com

I replaced the polygon, but the dead display remained and sure enough: shining a torch on the dead display showed the sc202

After a discussion with a tech from another branch we looked at the BICU (which the link says is shot also in some instances).

We found a tiny resistor (close to the lower right power connector [they all have a "o" printed on them in white] was burnt so that the "o" was not visible. Replaced the resistor and started the machine, and all is well.

From what I understand it also happens on the MPC2500 series, so keep this in mind.

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts Eric1968's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: MPC2800/3300 display dead mc tries to start (SC202) - SOLVED!

This is a known problem, I had it also 2-3 times. But that you solved it by replacing a resistor is exceptional!

Quote Originally Posted by Polo-022 View Post
    What about the polygon motor, was it faulty or not?
    I'm thinking it was as there is no other reason for that resistor to pop.
    Press the GREEN button!!

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    MPC2800/3300 display dead mc tries to start (SC202) - SOLVED!

I'm thinking it was as there is no other reason for that resistor to pop.
    I would agree, since it's always the defective Polygon that takes out the BICU, and there are actually lots of posts about this issue on this site too, but none that I've seen with a solution on the defective component on the BICU. This fix could prove to save substantial $$ in board repairs going forward.
    Great post Polarbear! REP points for you!

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

if you can web browse to the copier i have seen the code on the home page
    every time i have had this it is always bicu and polly motor

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I have seen this issue a fair amount. Typically both the BICU and mirror motor need to be replaced. I have seen it where the display is fine on the machine and shows the SC202. In this case, you need only replace the mirror motor.

Hello Polarbear, we have the same your problem and we have identified resistor to change. The problem is that the parts catalog for the Ricoh MP C 2800 do not indicate codes and values ​​of the resistors and capacitors, which instead was going on until the model mp c 2500 . Can anyone help us and knows the value of the resistor to replace? Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by nathan91 View Post
    Hello Polarbear, we have the same your problem and we have identified resistor to change. The problem is that the parts catalog for the Ricoh MP C 2800 do not indicate codes and values ​​of the resistors and capacitors, which instead was going on until the model mp c 2500 . Can anyone help us and knows the value of the resistor to replace? Thanks in advance
    Hi Nathan

I used a DMM and measured the surrounding resistors to get an idea of the values.

I then looked for a similar component on another defunct board, until I found one with similar values, desoldered it, and resoldered it on my board, and all was working fine!

Sorry I don't have any more info than that.
    Press the GREEN button!!