Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 250+ Posts turbojetboy's Avatar

MPC4502 Single pass adf, black on CIS side?

I have been called in to assist a tech tomorrow that has a MPC4502 that has the single pass feeder. Single sided scans and copies ok but anything passing by the Contact image sensor (CCD array) for the second side is reproduced as pure black. I havent been in front of the copier yet, but he has replaced the CIS assy and the fault remains.

Anyone seen this before?

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts
    MPC4502 Single pass adf, black on CIS side?

Re: MPC4502 Single pass adf, black on CIS side?

Quote Originally Posted by turbojetboy View Post
    I have been called in to assist a tech tomorrow that has a MPC4502 that has the single pass feeder. Single sided scans and copies ok but anything passing by the Contact image sensor (CCD array) for the second side is reproduced as pure black. I havent been in front of the copier yet, but he has replaced the CIS assy and the fault remains.

Anyone seen this before?

I recently had a funky scanning issue on a MP4002, with black copies. You could copy say 5 originals, the second would turn all black at some point on the page and all the rest of the job would be all black. When rebooted it was fine for a while, but the symptom always returned. Turned out that the SIO( scanner I/O pcb) was bad.
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

Professional Moron 2,500+ Posts TonerMunkeh's Avatar

When the CIS was replaced, was the stabiliser board also replaced? Have you tried updating the ADF firmware?
    It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it.

Went out and looked at this machine, it was also camming over the fuser pressure roller with a ratcheting noise. After a bit of a think I checked the NVram values for the pressure motor timing, one was way off. Reset the value and the camming was fixed. It seems that somehow the NVram also spat the dummy on some of the adf values. After re-entering the values correctly it all came back to life. As it turns out the cust had some power difficultys and has a auto switching generator running a few times.....when all this started to happen.

Glorified Parts Swapper 100+ Posts ptrflrs's Avatar

Went out and looked at this machine, it was also camming over the fuser pressure roller with a ratcheting noise. After a bit of a think I checked the NVram values for the pressure motor timing, one was way off. Reset the value and the camming was fixed. It seems that somehow the NVram also spat the dummy on some of the adf values. After re-entering the values correctly it all came back to life. As it turns out the cust had some power difficultys and has a auto switching generator running a few times.....when all this started to happen.
    I was having those exact same issues and I found out that one of my esteemed colleagues (read as jerkface, douchebag, IT know-it-all coworker) reset the ram 5801 as instructed by ricoh tech support to solve a fax forwarding to email error. I'm not sure what setting fixed the fuser pressure motor from turning past the sensor but after a firmware update and re-entering all the factory settings it is back.
    Last edited by ptrflrs; 07-18-2013 at 08:59 PM.
    jesus loves you! (everyone else thinks you're an assh*le)
    street cred: CompTIA A+ & Network+ Certified; Konica Minolta Gold Seal x2,
    Konica Minolta Outward ASSociate, Ricoh, Sharp, Lexmark trained

Senior Tech 250+ Posts PinevskiS's Avatar

Anyone seen this before?
    Yes i have a same problem on mpc4502a.
    Cis (upper lamp) for the second side flash when i try to make duplex copy but copy is total black.

You almost certainly have corrupt NV ram values. get out the machines birth certificate (behind front cover) and check all values, you most likely will find one or more showing garbage numbers. That was the problem with the one I saw.

I've had the same fault after an Engine ram clear...re input of the birth certificate values fixed it...like turbo said.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Is clearing board rams a thing now? It seems that in every second thread someone was recommended an 'engine clear', only to spend hours putting birth certificate data back in, and to have the problem remain. Maybe I don't get the same problems you guys do but I've never had to do such a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by SargeNZ View Post
    Is clearing board rams a thing now? It seems that in every second thread someone was recommended an 'engine clear', only to spend hours putting birth certificate data back in, and to have the problem remain. Maybe I don't get the same problems you guys do but I've never had to do such a thing.
    It's my pet hate, unless you have a confirmed good backup of the Nv ram data.