Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Ricoh MP 7001 light copies/prints

I can tone it up by force adding toner in SP mode and it looks great for 100 copies then starts to go light again.

Usually the machine wont ask for toner it it will just stay at grey prints rather then black, even tho I will tone it up and set the TD initial to where its density should be.

I change drum, blade, and developer. After developer replaced it ran for about 500-1000 before going light again.

Any ideas?

I'm thinking it might be because of the aftermarket toner or TD sensor? It seems to consume more toner then it replenishes, but never reaches a toner end condition.

I can't remember if I've tried setting toner detection to pixel count or if I'm thinking of a different machine. But all I know is there is no problems with the mechanical workings of the toner loading system.

Thanks,

-MNTECH

Technical/IT Support 500+ Posts Venom's Avatar

Re: Ricoh MP 7001 light copies/prints

possibly the toner filter screen on the dev unit has fallen apart and waste toner is now contaminating the developer
    IBM, Mita, Konica Minolta, Ricoh, Kyocera, HyPAS, Canon, Oce, Samsung, HP, TEO IP PBX/Unified Communications, Comptia Network+ Comptia PDI+ Certifications

Senior Tech 250+ Posts kannuki2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Venom View Post
    possibly the toner filter screen on the dev unit has fallen apart and waste toner is now contaminating the developer
    Check the classification on the toner supply assembly for broken mylars

AutoMajical Resolutionist 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mntech View Post
    I can tone it up by force adding toner in SP mode and it looks great for 100 copies then starts to go light again.

Usually the machine wont ask for toner it it will just stay at grey prints rather then black, even tho I will tone it up and set the TD initial to where its density should be.

I change drum, blade, and developer. After developer replaced it ran for about 500-1000 before going light again.

Any ideas?

I'm thinking it might be because of the aftermarket toner or TD sensor? It seems to consume more toner then it replenishes, but never reaches a toner end condition.
    Really??? aftermarket toner and you have toner supply and image quality problems....... Probably soooo......

Might have screwed up the toner hopper also....... and pluged the vent tubes..................
    Mystic Crystal Revelations

Glorified Parts Swapper 100+ Posts ptrflrs's Avatar

Good suggestions above. Well known issue on this series, mine all go light eventually. There is recent firmware regarding light copies. You might have to reset pm counters after updating or replace drum and developer again. Aftermarket toner might still be the culprit, though.
    jesus loves you! (everyone else thinks you're an assh*le)
    street cred: CompTIA A+ & Network+ Certified; Konica Minolta Gold Seal x2,
    Konica Minolta Outward ASSociate, Ricoh, Sharp, Lexmark trained

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

Kind of sounds like they aren't making enough prints for this machine. If that is what is happening here, the toner addition system isn't running long enough to keep up with toner usage.
    If that's the case, the best thing to do would be to swap that machine out with one that is better suited for their needs. If that can't be done, you might try reducing the value of "toner feed time" in service mode. The machine will never be totally right, but it will work a good deal better.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Thanks for all the feedback!

I'm going to look into the firmware and possibly switching to genuine toner.

They actually run the machine pretty heavy when they do run it.

I can't remember the meter, but I think the machine is pretty young.

And I don't believe anything is wrong with the hopper, filter, tubes, or anything because when I force add 1 time it is instantly better for a good 150 copies.

It seems more like the td sensor wants a lower concentration of toner to be satisfied, seeing as it goes light but never reaches a toner end or near end.

I'm going to take a look at it tomorrow to see if I can rule some things out.

I know aftermarket toner is not recommended, I always run aftermarket in the 1075 - 2060 series machines with out any problems, but I also know that certain ricohs can be picky.

Thanks again for all the feedback.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tonerbomb View Post
    Really??? aftermarket toner and you have toner supply and image quality problems....... Probably soooo......

I keep telling my boss that the aftermarket toner will cost us more in the long run.... on service calls, replacement parts, travel, etc.....but unless I can prove the aftermarket toner is the culprit he will continue to use the stuff. I was a factory trained Ricoh tech, and no Ricoh dealer I know would dare use aftermarket, but now working for a smaller company, we have to save money wherever we can.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

I'm going to say that the aftermarket toner is the problem, but just curious as to what your vsp and vsg readings are.
    Totoro

Field Supervisor 1,000+ Posts Eric1968's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mntech View Post
    I keep telling my boss that the aftermarket toner will cost us more in the long run.... on service calls, replacement parts, travel, etc.....but unless I can prove the aftermarket toner is the culprit he will continue to use the stuff. I was a factory trained Ricoh tech, and no Ricoh dealer I know would dare use aftermarket, but now working for a smaller company, we have to save money wherever we can.
    Your boss should know that when you have to drive for an hour to a customer a few times for copy quality problems, the benefit of selling after market toner is gone. Customers also are not happy when you have to visit them 3 times a week.